Only a small strip at the top of the screen is functioning, everything else is black.

My screen was working perfectly until problems with the backlight cable started, to the point that my screen went completely black. After that, I took it to a repair shop to have the cable replaced. After the replacement, the backlight works, but I can only see a small portion of the screen right at the top where the Apple logo and the menu with the Wi-Fi icon, etc., are located. The rest of the screen remains black.

MacBook pro 2017 A1707

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Aug 9, 2023 12:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2023 1:11 PM

jefferson49 wrote:

My screen was working perfectly until problems with the backlight cable started, to the point that my screen went completely black. After that, I took it to a repair shop to have the cable replaced. After the replacement, the backlight works, but I can only see a small portion of the screen right at the top where the Apple logo and the menu with the Wi-Fi icon, etc., are located. The rest of the screen remains black.

MacBook pro 2017 A1707

Hardly sounds like they fixed it. I would march it back in there,

did you boot up and test it before you left the shop? I would recommend it.

For hardware issues take it in—

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Plug in an external monitor and compare your results.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 9, 2023 1:11 PM in response to jefferson49

jefferson49 wrote:

MacBook pro 2017 A1707

Hardly sounds like they fixed it. I would march it back in there,

did you boot up and test it before you left the shop? I would recommend it.

For hardware issues take it in—

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Plug in an external monitor and compare your results.

Only a small strip at the top of the screen is functioning, everything else is black.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.