Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Damaged iPhone charge port

everytime i plug my phone to charge, the charge cable is loose and disconnects at times. have tried different charge cables and all seem to do the same so i think it's the charge port

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 11

Posted on Aug 9, 2023 7:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2024 9:51 AM

I also have a 13 Pro Max and I have been dealing with this CHARGER PORT CONNECTIVITY issue for a long while and continues to get worse. Almost impossible to find just the right placement to get any charge. WILL APPLE FIX this problem?

13 replies

Aug 9, 2023 7:31 PM in response to tonyarevalo831

tonyarevalo831 Said:

"damaged charge port: everytime i plug my phone to charge, the charge cable is loose and disconnects at times. have tried different charge cables and all seem to do the same so i think it's the charge port"

-------

It may be a hardware issue. But, before making that assertion, try troubleshooting the charge...

Troubleshooting iPhone Charge:

Visit the following links for tips on troubleshooting this...

I. Try what is on this Link: If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't Turn on or is Frozen - Apple Support

II. View the Battery Health:

Apple recommends you get a new battery, once the Battery Health reaches 80% or lower. When the Battery Health is 80% or lower, it is time for a new battery.

1. Go To: Settings
  2. Tap: Battery
  3. Tap: Battery Health
  4. View: [the percentage]
  5. Is it 80% or less?  If so, it is time for a new battery.

III. Perform a Restart:

Try Force Restarting your iPhone. Save any information that need be. Then perform the restart.

Go Here: Force Restart iPhone - Apple Support

IV. A Few Apple Support Sites that May Help:

Aug 9, 2023 7:35 PM in response to tonyarevalo831

It sounds like you've narrowed down the issue to the charging port of your iPhone 6 Plus. Here are some steps you can take to address the problem:

1. Clean the Charging Port: As with any device, the charging port can accumulate dust, lint, and debris over time. Gently clean the charging port using a soft, small brush, toothpick, or compressed air. Be very careful while cleaning to avoid damaging the delicate pins inside the port.

2. Check for Physical Damage: Examine the charging port carefully for any visible signs of damage, such as bent pins or corrosion. If you notice any damage, it's likely contributing to the loose connection issue.

3. Use a Different Cable: While you mentioned you've tried different cables, it's still worth trying another high-quality cable to ensure that the issue isn't solely due to a faulty cable.

4. Restart Your iPhone: Sometimes, software glitches can cause charging issues. Restart your iPhone to see if that resolves the problem.

5. Check for Debris in the Cable End: Inspect the ends of your charging cables for any debris or lint that might prevent them from making a secure connection with the charging port. If you find any, carefully remove it.

6. Try Different Charging Adapters: The issue might also be with the charging adapter you're using. Try different adapters to see if the problem persists.

7. Use a Dock or Stand: Using a charging dock or stand can help relieve stress on the charging port and reduce the chance of disconnections.

8. Contact Apple Support: If none of the above steps work, and you're confident that the charging port is the problem, it's a good idea to reach out to Apple Support. They can provide guidance on whether your device is eligible for repair or replacement. If your device is still under warranty or you have AppleCare, they might cover the repair.

9. Consider Professional Repair: If your device is out of warranty or Apple's support options are not feasible for you, you could consider seeking help from a reputable third-party repair service. They can assess the charging port and offer solutions.

Remember that attempting any repairs yourself carries a risk of causing further damage, especially with delicate components like charging ports. If you're not comfortable with DIY repairs, it's better to seek professional help to avoid worsening the issue.

Aug 9, 2023 8:22 PM in response to tonyarevalo831

Please pardon the brevity of this post if you are instead looking for long replies with multiple links to multiple documents, some of which have nothing to do with your issue.

Apple will not offer repairs on the port on your iPhone 6 Plus, basically leaving you with the choice to buy a new or refurbished phone.

It might worth considering a 3rd party shop that is willing to repair or replace the port on your iPhone. The downside......Apple will likely refuse to work on the phone at a later time because of service performed by an unauthorized repair shop. On an old phone like the iPhone 6 Plus, you really are not risking a lot here though.

Mar 30, 2024 2:17 PM in response to tonyarevalo831

My IPhone 12 regularly loses connection to the cable when charging. It's not the adapter which has multiple outlets and is loading and charging other devices at the same time and it's not the cable. I've tried 2 different ones from different manufacturers. It also loses connection in my car which doesn't connect wirelessly to play music. The XFinity store claims it's a frequent problem and the answer is to buy a new IPhone. Why would I spend anothe grand to buy a replacement for the one they sold me that doesn't work? If you don't have an answer better than what you've already listed, just say so. The IPhone is the only thing I'm having problems with and my use goes back to before the IPhone 6. The 12 is the problem, not the other gear.

Apr 3, 2024 12:17 PM in response to tonyarevalo831

I have this problem with my iPhone 12. I took it to Apple and they gave me a quote to fix it (it's a hardware issue, apparently) of $449 - out of warranty and AppleCare has expired. It still charges with the MagSafe charger, so I'm not going to have it fixed. My question is whether this might affect anything else with how the phone operates (other than the charging), i.e. sending/receiving calls, texts, etc. I know this is unlikely, but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Damaged iPhone charge port

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.