Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Screen on iPad shattered

Our I pad 8 screen shattered. The device was purchased in October of 2022 and used daily. We used the machine this morning, put it on the charger, and went for a walk. When we returned we opened the case/cover and the screen was shattered. Small chunks have come out near the button, and the screen has well over 100 cracks around the perimeter extending like cobwebs to the center of the screen. The temp in the room has not exceeded 70 degrees and the iPad was not in the sun.

Has anyone experienced this and what could the cause be?

iPad, iPadOS 16

Posted on Aug 10, 2023 3:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2023 3:38 PM

Speculation as to the cause serves no useful purpose. You would be best advised to seek assistance and diagnosis from an Apple technician at the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to assess your iPad - and you can explore your available options:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Alternatively, should you wish to skip qualified diagnosis, you might consider use of Apple’s mail-in repair service:

iPad Repair & Service - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2023 3:38 PM in response to Longtalker

Speculation as to the cause serves no useful purpose. You would be best advised to seek assistance and diagnosis from an Apple technician at the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to assess your iPad - and you can explore your available options:

Alternatively, should you wish to skip qualified diagnosis, you might consider use of Apple’s mail-in repair service:

iPad Repair & Service - Apple Support

Nov 3, 2023 4:26 AM in response to mmz-pz

mmz-pz wrote:

My IPad screen suddenly developed a cobweb of cracks starting at the Home Button and extending outward. It was not dropped, nothing fell on it nobody was near it when it happened. It was plugged in for charging and the next time I went to use it, the cracks had appeared.
Now the area is developing smaller cracks and almost chipping away. I do not understand why this happened and I don’t believe I did anything wrong.
Now what? We’re these models defective?

You need to seek assistance from an Apple technician at the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP):

Nov 2, 2023 6:31 PM in response to Longtalker

My IPad screen suddenly developed a cobweb of cracks starting at the Home Button and extending outward. It was not dropped, nothing fell on it nobody was near it when it happened. It was plugged in for charging and the next time I went to use it, the cracks had appeared.

Now the area is developing smaller cracks and almost chipping away. I do not understand why this happened and I don’t believe I did anything wrong.

Now what? We’re these models defective?

Screen on iPad shattered

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.