Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

AirPods discharging in empty Charging Case

I have an issue regarding my 2nd Gen AirPods and the battery draining from both while inside an empty charging case. There is no issue when the AirPods are at 100% charge and the battery case itself has a residual charge. The issue typically arises when the AirPods are low and need to be charged, or I am simply putting them away in my Charging Case after use. If the charge in the case is not enough to to bring the AirPods up to 100%, it will then draw the battery out of the AirPods, leaving me with both AirPods and the Charging Case at 0% if left overnight.

iPhone X, iOS 16

Posted on Aug 10, 2023 6:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2023 7:03 PM

syam0104 Said:

"AirPods discharging in empty Charging Case: I have an issue regarding my 2nd Gen AirPods and the battery draining from both while inside an empty charging case: [...]If the charge in the case is not enough to to bring the AirPods up to 100%, it will then draw the battery out of the AirPods, leaving me with both AirPods and the Charging Case at 0% if left overnight."

-------

Troubleshooting AirPods Charge:

How to Fix This:

Try troubleshooting the power manually...

A. A Few Links to Visit:

B. Try the Following Tasks:

• Hold Down the Button on the case for about 15 seconds.

• Use an Apple Brand Cable - not a third party one - cool though it may look, a fabric, third-part cable would likely tear - (Apple cable's are plastic and are intended for Apple)

• Remove the AirPod from the Case, then place it back in the charger. Perhaps it need to resync with he charger.
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2023 7:03 PM in response to syam0104

syam0104 Said:

"AirPods discharging in empty Charging Case: I have an issue regarding my 2nd Gen AirPods and the battery draining from both while inside an empty charging case: [...]If the charge in the case is not enough to to bring the AirPods up to 100%, it will then draw the battery out of the AirPods, leaving me with both AirPods and the Charging Case at 0% if left overnight."

-------

Troubleshooting AirPods Charge:

How to Fix This:

Try troubleshooting the power manually...

A. A Few Links to Visit:

B. Try the Following Tasks:

• Hold Down the Button on the case for about 15 seconds.

• Use an Apple Brand Cable - not a third party one - cool though it may look, a fabric, third-part cable would likely tear - (Apple cable's are plastic and are intended for Apple)

• Remove the AirPod from the Case, then place it back in the charger. Perhaps it need to resync with he charger.

Nov 11, 2023 11:30 AM in response to KimNar

KimNar Said:

I have the same issue, I am so frustrated. I lost my first pair on a trip and I had never experienced that issue before. I bought a new pair and I’ve tried everything Apple told me to try to fix, went to Genius Bar and still happens. Why hasn’t Apple fixed this issue yet???”

———-

Report this to Apple...

Having been brought up, I’m sure it’s affected others. These are just user-to-user forums. Question is: "Just how many people have actually reported this to Apple?"

So, do your Part: Provide Apple with feedback on this, letting them know about this issue.  Apple may not get back to you directly, but the more feedback they receive on this, the more they will know what is occurring, and what bug fixes to include in updates to come. Apple will know nothing of this, if you don't report it to them.

1. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  2. Comment: that this all began after installing an update. Include the URL of this thread
  3. Proceed from there as necessary

AirPods discharging in empty Charging Case

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.