AirTag and Find My question

I would like to purchase AirTag and I know the max range with my bluetooth is 50 - 100ft. Will Find My help me to locate an item I might have misplaced for example 6 miles away?

iPhone 7

Posted on Aug 11, 2023 9:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2023 9:32 AM

Yes. The AirPod does not rely on being near your own device.

It issues a bluetooth beacon that can be picked up by other iPhones, iPads, iPod Touches and Macs that then update its location on Apple servers.

The range is in practice almost unlimited, since any Apple device will pick it up and update the location.

People have sent AirTags around the world and tracked them successfully.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 11, 2023 9:32 AM in response to Moose_65

Yes. The AirPod does not rely on being near your own device.

It issues a bluetooth beacon that can be picked up by other iPhones, iPads, iPod Touches and Macs that then update its location on Apple servers.

The range is in practice almost unlimited, since any Apple device will pick it up and update the location.

People have sent AirTags around the world and tracked them successfully.

Aug 11, 2023 12:54 PM in response to Moose_65

The important thing to keep in mind is that the AirTags rely on Apple's "Find My Network" feature. Every iPhone, by default, have this enabled, and as such, participate with it to be able to relay your AirTag's location information to the Apple servers. That is where you can find it via the Find My app.

However, any of those iPhones must be within Bluetooth range (30-40') to pick up that signal ... so, there is always a chance that the tag's location may not be updated ... until another iPhone is present.

Just trying to give you a bit of background on how it works.

AirTag and Find My question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.