I want to delete a purchased (free) app from cloud storage and do a complete new download. Any idea how to do that?

I can no longer get one of my favorite games to work properly and would like to completely delete the original purchase from the cloud so that I can try starting fresh with a new purchase of it. I’m hoping that this may help me escape whatever glitch I’ve come across

Posted on Aug 11, 2023 11:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2023 5:55 PM

Don’t think that’s true. I’ve deleted the FB app on my iPad hoping I could download a fresh copy because this app is corrupted. An important post that I commented on in a group, has disappeared, yet I can still get to it on my iPhone and on the FB web page in Safari on the iPad. When I delete the FB app and all its data and go back to the App Store to redownload it, it shows that it’s in the cloud and it just redownloads the corrupted app. I still can’t get to a post that’s clearly there in my group. I want to delete the app, make sure all the data is gone and download a totally fresh one. I was thinking of going into storage in settings and deleting the app from there. Do you think that would work? It says it’s irreversible, but I would think I could just download a fresh copy of the app after that.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 19, 2023 5:55 PM in response to Phil0124

Don’t think that’s true. I’ve deleted the FB app on my iPad hoping I could download a fresh copy because this app is corrupted. An important post that I commented on in a group, has disappeared, yet I can still get to it on my iPhone and on the FB web page in Safari on the iPad. When I delete the FB app and all its data and go back to the App Store to redownload it, it shows that it’s in the cloud and it just redownloads the corrupted app. I still can’t get to a post that’s clearly there in my group. I want to delete the app, make sure all the data is gone and download a totally fresh one. I was thinking of going into storage in settings and deleting the app from there. Do you think that would work? It says it’s irreversible, but I would think I could just download a fresh copy of the app after that.

Aug 11, 2023 11:42 AM in response to ShannonSchroeder

Only one version will be available to you and if that does not work then there isn't another one that will. However, you can completely delete the copy you have and re-download a fresh copy and see if that will work.

Refer to this support article to learn how to delete apps on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. --> Delete apps on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

How to delete an app

1. Touch and hold the app.

2. Tap Remove App.

3. Tap Delete App, then tap Delete to confirm.

Keep in mind that some built-in Apple apps can't be deleted from your device, so you might not see the option to delete an app. See this support article for a list of built-in Apple apps you can delete from your device: Delete built-in Apple apps from your iPhone, iPad, or Apple Watch - Apple Support If you can't delete an app that's not made by Apple, disable parental controls as outlined in this article: Use parental controls on your child's iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support then try deleting the app again.

If you touch and hold an app from the Home Screen and the apps start to jiggle: 

1. Tap the Remove icon in the upper-left corner of the app.

2. Tap Delete App, then tap Delete to confirm.

3. Tap Done.

Follow the instructions in this support article to redownload apps and games from Apple --> Redownload apps and games from Apple - Apple Support

If an app on your iPhone or iPad stops responding, closes unexpectedly, or won’t open, read this document for suggestions of things to try --> If an app on your iPhone or iPad stops responding, closes unexpectedly, or won’t open - Apple Support

Oct 19, 2023 7:30 PM in response to tjstole

The cloud icon in the store is just an indication that you have downloaded or purchased the app before. It does not mean it is stored in iCloud in any way.

As previously said, you get a completely fresh version from the App Store each time.

Deleting the App from Storage will accomplish the same thing as deleting it from the home screen.

The irreversible part, is that the deletion cannot be undone, and you would need to redownload it from the App Store.

I want to delete a purchased (free) app from cloud storage and do a complete new download. Any idea how to do that?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.