I have an air tag associated with another Apple ID and that Apple ID has been killed. How do I reset the air tag to register it with another Apple ID?

Had set up a new Apple ID and then did not need it. Killed the entire Apple ID. Did not realize the air tags were still associated with that Apple ID. Need to associate the air tags with a different Apple ID. I can reset the air tag, pair, rename it but it won't let me go further. Trash?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Aug 11, 2023 2:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2023 6:18 AM

The link worked great. I did both of the Air Tags. I still had the boxes and I took picture of Air Tag sitting next to serial number on box as my proof. They were Christmas gifts so I have do not have a receipt. Had to send each one separately. Will see what Apple does. If they cannot unlock the serial numbers, then they will be little paper weights and I will have to buy new ones.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 12, 2023 6:18 AM in response to Limnos

The link worked great. I did both of the Air Tags. I still had the boxes and I took picture of Air Tag sitting next to serial number on box as my proof. They were Christmas gifts so I have do not have a receipt. Had to send each one separately. Will see what Apple does. If they cannot unlock the serial numbers, then they will be little paper weights and I will have to buy new ones.

Aug 11, 2023 8:22 PM in response to Kenneth andamp__

I’d take a look at this article to see if its helpful: Remove an AirTag or other item from Find My on iPhone - Apple Support

I’m assuming that you’re required to remove it from Find My before being able to add it to a different Apple ID. If you can’t, it might be worth talking to Apple to see if they can help, but I think its going to be challenging or impossible to remove it from the other Apple ID if you can’t sign in to Find My.

Aug 12, 2023 5:52 AM in response to Kenneth andamp__

I suspect you will not find this easy to do, if at all possible.

"An AirTag can be associated with one Apple ID. If you want to use an AirTag that someone else has used, they need to remove the AirTag from their Apple ID first as described in this support article —> If an item or device is connected to another Apple ID - Apple Support .

In similar situations where a device is blocked by an ID that cannot be removed, Apple can completely reset a device if a person can provide sufficient evidence of valid ownership. Do this online at: Activation Lock support request - https://al-support.apple.com/#/additional-support Apple says, "Proof of ownership documentation is required," but does not detail what currently constitutes proof. Prior to this new online service Apple typically required the original receipt issued by Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller and documented provenance (so typically it would be the original owner who does this, or a descendant with legal proof of ownership). This will give you access to the device but won't restore access to the account used to lock it. There is nothing that can be done to expedite an Activation Lock request.

Apple recommends you "Keep your receipt after you buy an Apple device" --> Keep your receipt after you buy an Apple device - Apple Support

However, I have not read about that service in the context of Airtags. If you find that they do offer it then please report back here so we learn something new.

I have an air tag associated with another Apple ID and that Apple ID has been killed. How do I reset the air tag to register it with another Apple ID?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.