i bought an iphone 8plus and the previous owner has activation lock applied how do i bypass this to set it up as my own

i bought an iphone 8 plus that i restored using itunes to bypass the passcode. i am unable to set it up as my phone because the previous owner has an activation lock and has find my enabled.

iPhone 8 Plus

Posted on Aug 12, 2023 4:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2023 4:12 AM

You can't bypass that. It's in place to protect the original owner in case it was lost or stolen. You'll need to reach out to the seller to have them remove the device from iCloud.com/find if they are the original owner. Or get your money back because the device is possibly lost or stolen.

Apple does this to protect their customers. There's no way around it. Apple will remove an activation lock with only the original receipt (proof of purchase) from either an authorized reseller or Apple directly.

If you can get in touch with the seller, I'd just want my money back.

How to remove Activation Lock - Apple Support

Activation Lock for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 12, 2023 4:12 AM in response to brigette66

You can't bypass that. It's in place to protect the original owner in case it was lost or stolen. You'll need to reach out to the seller to have them remove the device from iCloud.com/find if they are the original owner. Or get your money back because the device is possibly lost or stolen.

Apple does this to protect their customers. There's no way around it. Apple will remove an activation lock with only the original receipt (proof of purchase) from either an authorized reseller or Apple directly.

If you can get in touch with the seller, I'd just want my money back.

How to remove Activation Lock - Apple Support

Aug 12, 2023 4:15 AM in response to brigette66

Hello ~ That is the activation lock. If the person/persons that you bought the iPhone from cannot or will not remove it …the iPhone is basically useless to you. If they cannot/will not remove it…return it and get your money back. We cannot help remove it nor can Apple. Take a look here by clicking on the links below…

Also:

The All Too Common SAD Reality of Buying a Used iPad/iPhone

~Katana-San~

i bought an iphone 8plus and the previous owner has activation lock applied how do i bypass this to set it up as my own

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.