Share my Apple

This was never really answered: I successfully linked my Apple Health on my iPhone 11 PRO to my Providence MyChart system (as well as the UCLA, and Maine Health etc.) I can see years' worth of my medical data from these sites on my iWatch 7, and my phone. My primary healthcare doctor would like to see my Apple Health information (my EKG's, HR, Oxygen/Blood numbers recorded from my iWatch. The Apple app says my doctor needs to approve data transfer in that direction. This makes no sense. AND, my doctor, and the MyChart IT team, have no idea how to do it. Please help.

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Aug 13, 2023 8:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2023 8:56 AM

I understand your confusion. It does seem strange that you can see your medical data from other providers in your Apple Health app, but your doctor needs to approve data transfer in the other direction.

The reason for this is that Apple Health is designed to be a secure and private way to store your health data. When you share your data with a provider, they are given access to a secure view of your data. This view is limited to the data that you have specifically shared with them, and they cannot see any other data that you have stored in your Apple Health app.

In order to protect your privacy, Apple requires that providers approve data transfer before they can see your data. This means that your doctor will need to log into their provider portal and specifically approve the data transfer from your Apple Health app. Once they have approved the data transfer, they will be able to see the data that you have shared with them.

I hope this explanation helps to make sense of the situation. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Here are some additional resources that you may find helpful:

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 13, 2023 8:56 AM in response to RichardTerrio

I understand your confusion. It does seem strange that you can see your medical data from other providers in your Apple Health app, but your doctor needs to approve data transfer in the other direction.

The reason for this is that Apple Health is designed to be a secure and private way to store your health data. When you share your data with a provider, they are given access to a secure view of your data. This view is limited to the data that you have specifically shared with them, and they cannot see any other data that you have stored in your Apple Health app.

In order to protect your privacy, Apple requires that providers approve data transfer before they can see your data. This means that your doctor will need to log into their provider portal and specifically approve the data transfer from your Apple Health app. Once they have approved the data transfer, they will be able to see the data that you have shared with them.

I hope this explanation helps to make sense of the situation. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Here are some additional resources that you may find helpful:

Aug 13, 2023 3:31 PM in response to SravanKrA

Thank you so much. This helped somewhat. My Chart is a very secure web application with lots of security. All of my assigned doctors have access to it and my full medical information. It would be very nice if I could securely pass data at my choosing to the My Chart portal. My, My Chart app is linked to my Apple Health app for one way transmission. As I mentioned; neither my doctors, or the My Chart designers have any idea how to provide the approval you mentioned to pass my Apple Health data to them. I can see there is a way to pass my Apple health data to another persons iPhone with an Apple Health app. I don't know, or want to ask my doctors for their phone numbers.

Thanks again for your help.

Share my Apple

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.