Change Apple ID

I want to change my apple id. The original id is for example janey@icloud.com. To change it I am not able to set up an email with @icloud.com. The system asks for an email like a gmail. I am not sure if using a regular email will work. Why am I not able to set up another @icould.com?

iPhone 6s Plus

Posted on Aug 13, 2023 1:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2023 1:37 PM

You can use @iCloud.com but there are restrictions. Read the support article below and About your Apple ID email addresses - Apple Support

Change your Apple ID - Apple Support

- There's special instructions if you want to change your Apple ID to an @icloud.com address.

"If you try to change your Apple ID to an @icloud.com email address that was created within the last 30 days, you will be asked to try again later."

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 13, 2023 1:37 PM in response to hpier1927

You can use @iCloud.com but there are restrictions. Read the support article below and About your Apple ID email addresses - Apple Support

Change your Apple ID - Apple Support

- There's special instructions if you want to change your Apple ID to an @icloud.com address.

"If you try to change your Apple ID to an @icloud.com email address that was created within the last 30 days, you will be asked to try again later."

Aug 13, 2023 8:03 PM in response to Libby101a

Has anyone from Apple ever explained why some idiot determined that there is a 30-day wait to change your Apple ID to a new iCloud account?

My work email switched to Outlook recently and I can only add an iCloud Apple account, not one using my Gmail ID so I can’t access my calendar and contacts in Outlook for a month!

Great! 14 years as a customer who has bought tens of thousands of dollars of stuff and we get treated like hackers!

Aug 13, 2023 1:40 PM in response to hpier1927

Personally I advise against using an iCloud email address if it is your only email address. If you have problems with your account, Apple will be trying to send you rescue information to an account to which you have no access. If you wish to use iCloud for email, make sure you have a notification address too, and/or an account recovery contact.

About your Apple ID email addresses - Apple Support

Set up an account recovery contact - Apple Support

Aug 13, 2023 8:09 PM in response to TJinCville

Almost nobody on the forums works for Apple, and the few who do will not answer that kind of question (I suspect probably because they also do not know). Apple Support Communities is set up as an end-user to end-user technical issue support service (i.e., users like you helping other users). Feedback for Apple will likely get more attention if you send it using: Product Feedback - Apple

Change Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.