Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Browsers compatible with an early 2009 iMac

I have been using Safari and Firefox as browsers but, having been told both are out of date, cannot update either. Is there any other alternative to replacing my iMac?

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Aug 14, 2023 7:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2023 8:01 AM

The problem is not the browser, it's the OS. Browsers can only run on those OS versions that are designed for it and Firefox has been around for a very long time.

If the browsers are out of date, I.e security is lacking, you need to upgrade your OS. That may mean a new, or newer, Mac.

A 14 year old Mac has had a good run, but it's time to consider replacing it.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2023 8:01 AM in response to 87Sydney

The problem is not the browser, it's the OS. Browsers can only run on those OS versions that are designed for it and Firefox has been around for a very long time.

If the browsers are out of date, I.e security is lacking, you need to upgrade your OS. That may mean a new, or newer, Mac.

A 14 year old Mac has had a good run, but it's time to consider replacing it.

Aug 14, 2023 9:07 AM in response to 87Sydney

To add a bit to ku4hx's reply, today's secure (https) websites require, at least, the TLS 1.2 security protocol to access them. Apple did not include this protocol until OS X 10.9 Mavericks & Safari 7.0. Prior to this, OS X only supported SSLv3 & TLS 1.0. This shouldn't be the issue since your iMac is running macOS 10.11.

You can test your browser's SSL/TLS capability at this link: TLS test for web browsers - howsmyssl.com

Ref:

Feb 1, 2024 8:53 AM in response to Rudegar

thank you very very much. the only thing dad goes on iMac is watch films and news. i have given him a browser option. Failing that i did get him an iMac for Christmas its a little newer than the 2009 but only by a couple yrs only as it was given to me via my IT tutor job.

i have a Macbook Pro 17" 2011 so i guess my browsers need updating too.

thank you all

Browsers compatible with an early 2009 iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.