CAMERA ON MACBOOK DOESN'T WORK

just tried to do a zoom call today, no video.

green light on but no video

also tried FaceTime and Photo Booth. no luck, also QuickTime nothing,

it was literally working the other day...

what can I do to reset it? it can't be broken already...

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Aug 14, 2023 10:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2023 3:46 PM

soapy547 Said:

"CAMERA ON MACBOOK DOESN'T WORK: Yes, it sees the FaceTime HD camera built in: just can’t seem to get it to work. Happened after the recent update. Frustrating….

———-

Thank you the follow up reply.

Getting the iSight Camera to be Seen:

Three things to Try:

A. Try Safe Mode:

While in Safe Mode, try using this browser. In Safe Mode, login items do not run, and corrupt system files(i.e. caches) are intentionally reset as a way to fix issues.

1. Boot: in to Safe Mode: [Hold Down: shift key upon boot].
  2. Log in: as same user
  3. Try: this once more
  4. Restart the Mac Normally
  5. Try: this once more

B. Single-Out this User:

Try an Admin new user, see if you do not get this occur while in it. If so, then it is an issue with the configuration of the current user. If not, then it is an issue with the entire Mac.

If neither of the above fixes this…

C. Reinstall the macOS:

* Important: Be certain to create a backup of your Mac prior to performing the reinstall. That way, you can have something to restore from the Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reinstall. Once reinstalled, try this once more, seeing if you still get this error.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2023 3:46 PM in response to soapy547

soapy547 Said:

"CAMERA ON MACBOOK DOESN'T WORK: Yes, it sees the FaceTime HD camera built in: just can’t seem to get it to work. Happened after the recent update. Frustrating….

———-

Thank you the follow up reply.

Getting the iSight Camera to be Seen:

Three things to Try:

A. Try Safe Mode:

While in Safe Mode, try using this browser. In Safe Mode, login items do not run, and corrupt system files(i.e. caches) are intentionally reset as a way to fix issues.

1. Boot: in to Safe Mode: [Hold Down: shift key upon boot].
  2. Log in: as same user
  3. Try: this once more
  4. Restart the Mac Normally
  5. Try: this once more

B. Single-Out this User:

Try an Admin new user, see if you do not get this occur while in it. If so, then it is an issue with the configuration of the current user. If not, then it is an issue with the entire Mac.

If neither of the above fixes this…

C. Reinstall the macOS:

* Important: Be certain to create a backup of your Mac prior to performing the reinstall. That way, you can have something to restore from the Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reinstall. Once reinstalled, try this once more, seeing if you still get this error.

Aug 14, 2023 8:13 PM in response to soapy547

Hi,

Choose Apple menu  > System Settings (or System Preferences), then click Security & Privacy. Click Privacy & Security (or Privacy), then click Camera. Turn on any apps that you want to use your camera in. You might be prompted to quit and reopen an app before it can use your camera.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211130#:~:text=built%2Din%20camera%3A-,Choose%20Apple%20menu%20%EF%A3%BF%20%3E%20System%20Settings%20(or%20System%20Preferences),it%20can%20use%20your%20camera.

Aug 17, 2023 2:58 PM in response to soapy547

soapy547 Said:

"CAMERA ON MACBOOK DOESN'T WORK: Thank you everyone for all your help. I took it to the Apple Store today and they wanted $75 to tell me that there is a problem with my camera.[…]

———-

Give Apple Support a Call. Based on all my years interacting with Apple. paying just to have it looked at and diagnosed at the Apple Store makes no sense at all.

Screenshare with the Apple Rep what you are seeing through use of the Photos app, and it would be just like talking with an associate face-to-face. See how at my User Uip: Screensharing MacOS FaceTime to Easily Converse Over-the-Phone with Apple Support - User Tip

Apple Support Contact Info:

• Contact Us - Choose Locations
  • Proceed from there as necessary
  • Note: Phone calls are taking a bit to go through at the moment, due to lots of calls. With the Coronavirus Pandemic, many are at home at the moment, with much time on their hands to contact Apple. So, just stay on the line, and you will get through :)

Aug 14, 2023 8:32 PM in response to soapy547

soapy547 Said:

"CAMERA ON MACBOOK DOESN'T WORK: [...]it was literally working the other day...

what can I do to reset it? it can't be broken already..."

-------

For starters...

Is there a camera even seen?

To Find Out:

1. Go to: Apple menu
  2. Select: About this Mac
  3. Click: System Report... button
  4. View: Hardware on left-column
  5. Click: Camera
  6. Confirm if a Camera is Even Seen

Screenshot of a Mac Without a Camera:

Jan 30, 2024 11:48 PM in response to sashafromnovato

sashafromnovato Said:

this is what shows up on my MacBook - no camera is seen. How do you fix this?

———-

Reinstall the macOS:

The iSight Camera driver may have become became corrupt or went missing somehow. Elsewise, it is a hardware error. The reinstall will fix or replace corrupt or missing drivers.

IMPORTANT:

Be certain you backup your Mac, prior to performing the reinstall. That way, you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong after the reinstall process. Backing your Mac up to an external drive is the way to go about the backup creation. Go here, for instructions: Use Time Machine to Back Up - Apple Support

Aug 17, 2023 11:29 AM in response to soapy547

Thank you everyone for all your help.

I took it to the Apple Store today and they wanted $75 to tell me that there is a problem with my camera.

Now, I did have apple care, but it expired about a month ago. I missed the extension date, and it completely slipped my mind.

Now, I'm not a heavy user of the computer, I just needed a computer that worked and functioned for my work and my business and the funny thing is that pretty much any apple product that I got in the last 4 or 5 years, as soon as it's out of apple care, something immediately stops working... It happens too often to be a co-incidence.

It's beyond frustrating, it's not like it's a $200 Chromebook... it was 10x that...

There is absolutely no reason why it should suddenly stop working after an update and even not working after a clean install...

This is probably the last apple product I will ever buy.

Aug 17, 2023 4:20 PM in response to soapy547

Thank you, I did give them a call. No help whatsoever. None.

I was told, it was out of apple care and that, yeah, it sucks that a $1600 laptop will become faulty after 3 years. and I really should get the extra apple care, etc. (doesn't help, already explained that its out of apple care, didn't need for them to rub it in, that was a bit sh*t)

I asked if there was anything that could be done. the agent said no...

Anything Apple would consider? maybe being a little flexible on my apple care, etc?

Allow me to buy it so I can get it diagnosed? no. Anything? no, nothing....

I then inquired about something "Consumer Rights Law" oops, that went south very quickly. I have never had such a bad response from customer service. All I asked was for more information regarding Consumer Rights Law in CA in reference to my failed camera. The laptop wasn't fit for purpose and doesn't perform the functions it was sold to do, etc...

the conversation got very awkward and she got incredibly defensive, to the point of not answering my questions and trying to make me say something that I wasn't. A number of times I had to state that was not what I asked you. She started to repeat my questions back to me but changing the question, in which I had to state again: That is not what I asked you.

I asked for legal or customer service that would have a better understanding of this and she told me that you need to contact a lawyer, I said, look, I just want to get my laptop seen without having to lay out a couple hundred bucks for the opinion, its just out of apple care, I don't think its right honestly for a product that costs 10x of a normal laptop. Not like I use the thing every day.

Asked if I could clarify with her what Apple policy was in the US for Consumer Rights Law, she basically said, I don't have to know anything about it. It's not a requirement... I'm thinking: fantastic, you work in Apple Care and you handle the returns, replacements and should know what federal or state policies apply. (Barbara the slightly useless and mildly angry at life Apple Care woman: if you by chance are reading this: google is your friend. it's not federal, Apple operates in the US under CA law... its on your webpage FFS...

Anyway, I was told there was a legal department - great, can I have their number? 0r email?

No you can't I can't give it to you. You have to be a lawyer or a group.

Well, I just want to know what Apple will do under Consumer Rights Law and how that applies to my laptop that may or may not be broken because you want to charge me to tell me what I already know??

Sorry for the rant, Apple have literally sucked my whole day away and I'm in not better position than when I woke up this morning, and now I'm just ****** off...

Anyway, it went way downhill. If you have a complaint about someone at Apple, it will go absolutely nowhere, there is no way to report the conversation, even when its recorded for training purposes...

Anyhoo, I complained about the interaction, using their comments page..

I guarantee, like my laptop, Apple will do nothing.

Update: camera still not working. Having to do my zooms with a black screen...

Aug 17, 2023 6:32 PM in response to soapy547

You are welcome.

My 2017 MacBook Pro had the screen go dead 11 times. Turns out, the connector between the screen and the LogicBoard was loose. Having been so kind and patient of a customer, I was granted a green $5,000 upgrade. This was during the days of COVID, when all the Apple Stores were closed. Send it in and out via Mail is what all this patience is about. Every time I called I screenshared with the Apple Rep what I saw, as a way to prove my case and point.

CAMERA ON MACBOOK DOESN'T WORK

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.