You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What version of iMovie is compatible with Monterey and where can I get it?

iMac 21" running Monterey 12.6.8. Where can I get iMovie compatible with this OSX?

Thank you!

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Aug 14, 2023 2:59 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2023 1:05 PM

6 November 2023, the latest version needs MacOs 13.4 is not compatible. Monterey version is older MacOs 12.7.1

Solution:

Check if you have an old version installed. Erase that from your computer. Than use the AppStore App and click below on your account. Then look for the Imovie icon (purchase). It will show you the cloud sign next to it.

Click it and you will get the dialog regarding older version. Hit download and wait. It will download 10.3.8 and it works.

29 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 6, 2023 1:05 PM in response to sunnywood

6 November 2023, the latest version needs MacOs 13.4 is not compatible. Monterey version is older MacOs 12.7.1

Solution:

Check if you have an old version installed. Erase that from your computer. Than use the AppStore App and click below on your account. Then look for the Imovie icon (purchase). It will show you the cloud sign next to it.

Click it and you will get the dialog regarding older version. Hit download and wait. It will download 10.3.8 and it works.

Sep 23, 2023 4:34 PM in response to Richard Lander1

Hi

I have the same issue.

My iMac is late 2015, it has macOS Monterey 12.7. I have never purchased iMovie from the store so I do not have the application in the list of purchased applications.

I never had any interest in making videos, but at the moment I need to edit one and it is impossible for me to get the iMovie app from the store.

I would greatly appreciate if someone could provide me with a direct link to download version 10.3.4 (which I have read somewhere is compatible) or if someone could tell me how to solve this issue.

Best regards!

Julian

Nov 26, 2023 11:01 AM in response to SalahKing

Hope this helps you or anyone else here... We have an early 2015 13" which was on Catalina 10.15.7 and was running iMovie 10.1.14. We updated to OS Monterey 12.7.1 (the latest possible compatible OS for this 'vintage' MacBook Pro ) and then iMovie didn't work!

When trying to download the new iMovie version, it said we needed to download 10.3.10 (which needs OS 13.4 or later which we CANNOT do on this 2015 computer!) Apple put us in a pickle!

Thank goodness for a knowledgeable supervisor! We deleted the iMovie app (don't worry, it doesn't delete your iMovie library!) Then went back to the App Store and typed in iMovie in search (no version) and it downloaded the 'latest possible version' - which was 10.3.8. And... it works.

Hope this helps.

But fyi. I've been forewarned that the 'vintage' MacBook Pro will someday, at some random update time, not work... so I guess we're getting a new one soon. Also, the supervisor told me, with the new M1,2,3 chips - unlike older computers that we didn't update b/c 'if it's wasn't broke don't fix it'... she said, to DEF keep new computers up to date all the time...

Back to iMovie! yay.

Sep 26, 2023 9:42 PM in response to Juuligan

Check if you have an old version installed. I might have tried to update that direct to 10.3.9. Erase that from your computer. Than use the AppStore App and look for Imovie for Mac. It will show you the cloud sign next to it.

Click it and you will get the dialog regarding older version. Hit download and wait. It will download 10.3.8 and it works

Feb 19, 2024 9:29 AM in response to sunnywood

Yes, this happened to us! We had updated from Catalina 10.15.7 to Monterey 12.7.1 and then it said we had to download iMOVIE 10.3.10 BUT to do that, we needed OS 13.4 or later (and we couldn't go to that OS with an ol' 2015 MBP!) So, we deleted the app, I know that's scary to do, but everything stayed, and went to App Store and got iMovie 10.3.8! It worked and works... Hope that helps. (From a non tech person, but one who depends on iMovie.)

Oct 18, 2023 10:56 AM in response to Phil0124

Hi Phil0123 and the other friends!

I do not agree totally, there is a way, but it is not the right way and it does not allow to receive updates afterwards.

In my case I got version 10.2.4, which works correctly for me. Thanks to a friend who has that version installed on his iMac, he has not updated it and has no indication of it, I copied it to a flash drive from his iMac and then copied it to the applications folder of mine.

Obviously in the app store does not appear as an application that I have purchased, and therefore I have no possibility to update it, but it serves me for my needs.

Since the latest versions in the app store apparently work correctly with an iMac ..... Why Apple does not offer the possibility of obtaining, in this case, this application? This is a complete enigma to me.

Greetings!

Nov 25, 2023 2:52 PM in response to daveinlv

daveinlv wrote:

How about those of us who have a 2015 MBA with MacOS 12 and have never had imovie on the machine. The tip that said the current one in the Apple Store will work is WRONG.. A banner says 13.x.x is required.. HOW do I
download a copy of iMovie that WORKS on MacOS 12??

To re-iterate:

Yes, since I posted that answer back in August, the version has been updated and now requires iOS 13.4.
Things can change over time.

If you have not downloaded iMovie before, then there's currently no way to get a compatible version.

Please read the entire thread.

What version of iMovie is compatible with Monterey and where can I get it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.