Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Add power delivery to a usb c data cable.

Is there a way add power delivery to a usb c data cable? What I would like is to be able to find a y adapter that will pass through the usb c data from my 2021 MacBook laptop to my monitor and allow me to plug in a charger cable so my MacBook will change. So one PD input (ideally usb c female) adds power to a usb c data cable with 2 male ends.

The setup: MacBook laptop (2 usb-c ports) moves from place to place. When at my desk it would be great to plug in one cable and have it charge my laptop and provide video to my KVM switch (which does not provide power).

All solutions welcome. Plugging in two cables works, but then I often need a port for SSD, etc.

Posted on Aug 14, 2023 6:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2023 6:22 PM

Haleb Said:

"Add power delivery to a usb c data cable.: [...]What I would like is to be able to find a y adapter that will pass through the usb c data from my 2021 MacBook laptop to my monitor and allow me to plug in a charger cable so my MacBook will change.[...]"

-------

Not Losing Power Busses:

You need an adapter that has a female USB-C port on it. In doing so, you will not lose the required power for charging. Once example to use is this: USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter - Apple

I use it only projector all the time. My power adapter plugs in to the female USB-C port; then projector plugs in to the feen HDMI port; and my Laptop Cooler plugs in to the USB-A port.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2023 6:22 PM in response to Haleb

Haleb Said:

"Add power delivery to a usb c data cable.: [...]What I would like is to be able to find a y adapter that will pass through the usb c data from my 2021 MacBook laptop to my monitor and allow me to plug in a charger cable so my MacBook will change.[...]"

-------

Not Losing Power Busses:

You need an adapter that has a female USB-C port on it. In doing so, you will not lose the required power for charging. Once example to use is this: USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter - Apple

I use it only projector all the time. My power adapter plugs in to the female USB-C port; then projector plugs in to the feen HDMI port; and my Laptop Cooler plugs in to the USB-A port.

Add power delivery to a usb c data cable.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.