Can’t record FaceTime video AND audio

I’ve tried alll on how to enact the video button for FaceTime and that the mic button, hidden by a long press of the record button, needs to showing on.

I’ve tried to do a long distance interview. Both recordings worked for video but, irregardless of a mic button, it won’t record the audio! It will record my audio prior to making a FT call but then it suddenly stops when I make the call.

at first, I thought it had to be something my original wired earbuds. Nope. Same thing happen without them being plugged.

iOS is up to date. iPhone is 13.

Enough memory space.

what am I missing? What mystery of the FT app did I not learn?!?!

for the sake of my sanity, help!!

Posted on Aug 14, 2023 7:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2023 2:27 PM

Hello TDCMoncton,

Are you talking about using the Screen Recording function in Control Center to record your screen? If so, it won't record audio in calls. That is expected.

The reason for this comes down to legality. In most countries/regions, you cannot record call audio without the other person on the line specifically consenting to it. Since Screen Recording would rely solely on the honor system of you telling the other person you are recording them, the software is designed in a way that audio will never record in FaceTime as well as normal calls through the Phone application. It is designed this way to protect customers as well as protect Apple from legal repercussions.

Screen Recording will also not record audio that is copyright protected. For example, in many games if you use Screen Recording, it will not capture any audio from the game or if you try to record a movie, there will be no audio.

Record the screen on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Cheers!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2023 2:27 PM in response to TDCMoncton

Hello TDCMoncton,

Are you talking about using the Screen Recording function in Control Center to record your screen? If so, it won't record audio in calls. That is expected.

The reason for this comes down to legality. In most countries/regions, you cannot record call audio without the other person on the line specifically consenting to it. Since Screen Recording would rely solely on the honor system of you telling the other person you are recording them, the software is designed in a way that audio will never record in FaceTime as well as normal calls through the Phone application. It is designed this way to protect customers as well as protect Apple from legal repercussions.

Screen Recording will also not record audio that is copyright protected. For example, in many games if you use Screen Recording, it will not capture any audio from the game or if you try to record a movie, there will be no audio.

Record the screen on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Cheers!

Can’t record FaceTime video AND audio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.