Can’t delete certain note folders on iPhone

Hi! I want to delete an empty, unused folder in my notes app on my iPhone, but am unable to do so… can anyone help me? Two of the folders do not have the “delete” option. Here is a screenshot for reference.

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on Aug 14, 2023 10:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2023 11:22 PM

That can be deleted like this: Go to Settings > Mail > Accounts > Select Gmail > Turn off notes and it’ll delete upon selection.

hope that helps.!

4 replies

Aug 15, 2023 12:45 AM in response to heathercharleston

If you're having trouble deleting certain note folders on your iPhone, here are some steps you can try to resolve the issue:

1. Restart Your iPhone:
  2. Sometimes, a simple restart can help resolve minor glitches. Press and hold the power button until you see the "slide to power off" slider. Turn off your iPhone and then turn it back on.
  3. Update iOS:
  4. Make sure your iPhone is running the latest version of iOS. Outdated software can sometimes cause issues. To check for updates, go to "Settings" > "General" > "Software Update" and install any available updates.
  5. Check Notes Settings:
  6. Ensure that you have the necessary permissions to delete folders. Go to "Settings" > "Notes" and check if the "On My iPhone Account" is selected. If it is, you might need to change it to an account that supports folder deletion.
  7. Delete Notes Individually:
  8. If you can't delete the entire folder, try deleting the notes within the folder individually. Open the folder, swipe left on a note, and choose "Delete."
  9. Use iCloud or Another Account:
  10. If the folder is associated with a specific email account (e.g., iCloud, Gmail), try accessing the notes from that account's app or website. You might have better luck deleting the folder there.
  11. Sync and Backup:
  12. Ensure your notes are properly synced and backed up before attempting any troubleshooting steps. This way, you won't lose any important information.
  13. Reset Notes:
  14. If the issue persists, you can try resetting the Notes app settings. Go to "Settings" > "Notes" > "Reset All Settings." This will reset all your Notes settings to default.
  15. Contact Apple Support:
  16. If none of the above steps work, it might be a more complex issue. You can reach out to Apple Support for assistance. They can guide you through advanced troubleshooting steps or provide further help.

Remember that performing troubleshooting steps can sometimes carry a risk of data loss or unintended consequences. Always make sure you have backups of important information before attempting any changes.

Can’t delete certain note folders on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.