Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Cannot send messages to non-iPhone users/devices. Have been able to on previous MacBookPro from 2013.

Cannot send messages to non-iPhone users/devices using Messages. Have been able to do this on previous MacBookPro.

I have checked settings for both and they are the same.

Posted on Aug 15, 2023 9:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2023 6:37 PM

Make sure the Messages app settings on the iPhone is configured to "forward" messages as well to that new Mac.

On iPhone, go to Settings --> Messages --> Text Message Forwarding and make sure the new Mac is enabled there.

18 replies

Nov 7, 2023 2:06 PM in response to HWTech

There is a glitch in iOS17. At first, when I looked at messages settings, there was no longer a text-forwarding option in iOS17. I just restarted my phone and now that option is back! But when I toggle iMessage off and on to help re-establish a connection, then Text Forwarding option disappears. The only way to get it back is to restart the phone.

My Mac used to allow me to receive and send SMS from non-iphone users, and then today it stopped working. I checked that text forwarding setting and it is still turned on. I turned iMessages off and on, restarted both devices (Iphone 13 Pro and Macbook Pro running Ventura). Restarted both apps. Still not working. I can receive SMS on my Mac, but can no longer reply.

Nov 7, 2023 3:36 PM in response to HWTech

Thanks for your response. The first thing I did when I didn't see the text message forwarding option in message settings was search "forwarding" and "text". The setting wasn't anywhere else. The search menu took me to messages, and the setting was not there.

I restarted my phone and went back to message settings and the text forward option was there. I toggled off "iMessages" because this fix has worked in the past when my Mac wasn't sending/receiving non-iphone SMS. As soon as I toggled iMessages off, the screen moved as if I had scrolled. Then I did scroll down to look for the text forward option and it was gone. I toggled iMessages back on and the option was still missing. I restarted my phone, went back to settings>messages and the text forward option was back.

After doing this and restarting my computer again and signing out of iMessages on my Mac and signing back in, I'm able to send/receive SMS from non-iphone users again.

I'll report this to apple too so they know there's a glitch. I'd send you screenshots, but I don't want to mess up my messages now that they're finally working again.

Aug 15, 2023 9:49 AM in response to cfp700

Messages sent from Messages App on your Mac to non-Apple devices are LITERALLY forwarded through your physical iPhone. At the moment you attempt to send, your iPhone must be logged in with the the same Apple-ID, must be powered on, and Must have adequate CELLULAR service (not just Wi-Fi service).

in addition, Messages connection in this way is sometimes slow to get going, and it can take restarting your Mac AND restarting your iPhone to Get a good recognition of the connection.

Nov 7, 2023 2:45 PM in response to nsnell19

nsnell19 wrote:

There is a glitch in iOS17. At first, when I looked at messages settings, there was no longer a text-forwarding option in iOS17. I just restarted my phone and now that option is back! But when I toggle iMessage off and on to help re-establish a connection, then Text Forwarding option disappears. The only way to get it back is to restart the phone.

My Mac used to allow me to receive and send SMS from non-iphone users, and then today it stopped working. I checked that text forwarding setting and it is still turned on. I turned iMessages off and on, restarted both devices (Iphone 13 Pro and Macbook Pro running Ventura). Restarted both apps. Still not working. I can receive SMS on my Mac, but can no longer reply.

Try searching for "forward" or "forwarding" just in case Apple moved the setting elsewhere. Also look to see if they may have renamed the setting. I don't have iOS 17, so I cannot check this myself. Have you done a search online for iOS text forwarding to see if anyone out there has more information? This is the first I've seen it mentioned on the Apple forums.

You can try contacting Apple Support directly to see if they can escalate the issue to an engineer if standard level support is unable to help.

If you cannot find the forwarding option or whatever may have replaced it and Apple support is unable or unwilling to help, then provide Apple with product feedback here:

Product Feedback - Apple

Nov 7, 2023 5:05 PM in response to nsnell19

Good job on being persistent in your troubleshooting. Sometimes you have to keep doing the simple things like rebooting after making changes. Apple has been dropping the ball recently with their testing. I have been finding more & more bugs & quirks than ever before in my decades of supporting of my organization's Macs.

Mar 2, 2024 8:48 AM in response to Jbeecham

<< But I’m strictly Windows, no Mac here! Why aren’t my messages being delivered?? >>

if you expect to use Apple Messages via the Apple-ID system on your Windows machine, I recommend you not hold your breath, Waiting for the messages to be forwarded through the Apple-ID system to your iPhone, then broadcast over cellular to your selected destinations.

If you are using any other SMS text message delivery system, this is not an Apple-specific issue.

Mar 26, 2024 10:06 AM in response to cfp700

There is no text forwarding option in settings after multiple restarts. iPhone 15 pro max, iOS 17.3.1 I have been faithful Apple user since 1990 with my first MacSE. Gotta say I am getting sick of the constant bugs. upgrades now just make apps different, not better. Sonoma 14.2.1 also killed my LAN printing, but that is a whine for another time. Please stop following Microsoft's business practices!!!

Cannot send messages to non-iPhone users/devices. Have been able to on previous MacBookPro from 2013.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.