Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Buying 2nd Hand Iphone

I'm thinking of buying a second hand iphone from someone in my city. They said it was factory reset. Is should I take it? Is it possible that someone could still put it in lost mode after it was factory reset? I just don't want to get scammed.

Posted on Aug 15, 2023 9:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2023 10:21 PM

SaFyQ448 Said:

"Buying 2nd Hand Iphone:"

-------

Q1. "But if they factory reset it, does that mean everything's gone?"

A1. Yes. Everything on THEIR end is gone.

Q2. "Like can they access the phone at all unless they put their apple ID back in it?"

A2. Yes. They cannot access it with their own Apple ID, unless they put their Apple ID back in to it.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2023 10:21 PM in response to Community User

SaFyQ448 Said:

"Buying 2nd Hand Iphone:"

-------

Q1. "But if they factory reset it, does that mean everything's gone?"

A1. Yes. Everything on THEIR end is gone.

Q2. "Like can they access the phone at all unless they put their apple ID back in it?"

A2. Yes. They cannot access it with their own Apple ID, unless they put their Apple ID back in to it.

Aug 15, 2023 9:40 PM in response to Community User

SaFyQ448 Said:

"Buying 2nd Hand Iphone: I'm thinking of buying a second hand iphone from someone in my city. They said it was factory reset. Is should I take it? Is it possible that someone could still put it in lost mode after it was factory reset? I just don't want to get scammed."

-------

Properly Buying a Secondhand Phone:

That's YOUR call. But, let me tell your that there are plenty reports of scam sales on these forums. If you are to go about this, have the seller perform as instructed here, including the iCloud logout: What to do Before you Sell, Give Away, or Trade in your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support. Then, request that they let you log into to it. Once logged in, verify that this device is logged in to your account, by using this link: Check your Apple ID Device List to See where you're Signed in - Apple Support. From there, you'd perform the transaction.

Aug 15, 2023 10:30 PM in response to Community User

SaFyQ448 Said:

"Buying 2nd Hand Iphone: But if they factory reset it, does that mean everything's gone? Like can they access the phone at all unless they put their apple ID back in it?"

-------

Based on personal experience...

To Add:

If they do not log out of the account on this device, then you'll never be able to log into it to your own account --and if that were to happen, then that is what would make it a scam sale. Being safe and avoiding scams is what I am getting at. I've been taking part in these forums for 4 years, and thousands of reports have been read by my own eyes, many of which I've replied to.

Google Search Query: "thelittles" "you've been scammed" "iphone" site:discussions.apple.com

Aug 15, 2023 10:08 PM in response to TheLittles

But if they factory reset it, does that mean everything's gone? Like can they access the phone at all unless they put their apple ID back in it?

Buying 2nd Hand Iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.