Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

I am writing to bring to your attention an issue I am facing with my iPhone 5 SE. I am encountering an error related to the Touch ID setup. When trying to complete the setup, I receive the message "Unable to complete Touch ID setup."

Dear

Manager/Team,

I am writing to bring to your attention an issue I am facing with my iPhone 5 SE. I am encountering an error related to the Touch ID setup. When trying to complete the setup, I receive the message "Unable to complete Touch ID setup."

As you may be aware, Touch ID is an essential feature that allows convenient and secure access to the device. Therefore, it is crucial to resolve this issue as soon as possible.

I have attempted a few troubleshooting steps such as restarting my iPhone, updating the software to the latest version, and even resetting my device to its factory settings. Unfortunately, none of these steps have resolved the error.

I

am requesting your assistance in providing a solution for this problem. I

understand that the cause of the issue may be technical and require specialized

knowledge. Therefore, if necessary, please involve the appropriate technical

support team to thoroughly investigate and rectify the problem.

I am looking forward to your prompt response and a resolution for this error. My iPhone's Touch ID functionality has been invaluable in saving time and enhancing security, and I am eager to have it working again.

Thank you for your attention to this matter, and I appreciate your effort in assisting me with resolving this issue.

Sincerely,

Er.A.U.ASHOKSARAVANAN

Posted on Aug 15, 2023 11:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2023 11:21 PM

Make sure you have the latest version of iOS or iPadOS. Make sure your fingers and the Touch ID sensor are clean and dry. * For the Touch ID sensor, use a clean, lint-free cloth to wipe off any dirt or debris. Your finger should cover the Touch ID sensor completely, touching the surrounding metal ring.

If Touch ID isn't working on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2023 11:21 PM in response to ASHOKSARAVANAN

Make sure you have the latest version of iOS or iPadOS. Make sure your fingers and the Touch ID sensor are clean and dry. * For the Touch ID sensor, use a clean, lint-free cloth to wipe off any dirt or debris. Your finger should cover the Touch ID sensor completely, touching the surrounding metal ring.

If Touch ID isn't working on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Aug 15, 2023 11:26 PM in response to ASHOKSARAVANAN

If you're encountering the message "Unable to complete Touch ID setup" while setting up your iPhone SE 1st Gen, there could be a few reasons for this issue. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the problem:

1. Sometimes, the issue might be due to dirt, oil, or debris on the Home button or your finger. Make sure both are clean and dry before attempting the setup again.
  2. Sometimes, resetting the Touch ID settings can help. Go to Settings > Touch ID & Passcode and enter your passcode. Then, turn off all the options under "Use Touch ID For" (or "Use Face ID For" on later models). After that, restart your iPhone and go back to the same settings to enable the options again.
  3. Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve temporary software glitches. Turn off your iPhone, wait for a few seconds, and then turn it back on.
    1. Restart the device. That's it.
    2. Still not solved --> Force restart iPhone - Apple Support
  4. If the issue persists, you can try resetting all settings on your iPhone. This will not erase your data but will reset all personalized settings to their default values. Go to Settings > General > Transfer & Reset > Reset > Reset All Settings and confirm the action. Note that you will need to reconfigure your settings afterward. All settings—including network settings, the keyboard dictionary, the Home screen layout, location settings, privacy settings, and Apple Pay cards—are removed or reset to their defaults. No data or media are deleted.
    1. Reset All Settings: Return iPhone settings to their defaults - Apple Support:- Return iPhone settings to their defaults
    2. You can return settings to their defaults without erasing your content.
    3. If you want to save your settings, back up your iPhone before returning them to their defaults. For example, if you’re trying to solve a problem but returning settings to their defaults doesn’t help, you might want to restore your previous settings from a backup.
  5. If none of the above steps work, you might need to restore your iPhone using iTunes (on a computer) or Finder (on macOS Catalina and later). This will erase all your data, so make sure you have a recent backup. Connect your iPhone to your computer, open iTunes or Finder, and follow the instructions to restore your device.
  6. Make sure you have the latest updates installed.
    1. Update Over-the-Air (OTA) —> Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support (IN)
    2. Update using iTunes/Finder —> Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support (IN)

If none of the above steps resolve the issue, it is recommended to reach out to Apple Support or visit an authorized service center for further assistance. They can provide specific guidance based on your device model and iOS version.

Aug 15, 2023 11:22 PM in response to ASHOKSARAVANAN

ASHOKSARAVANAN wrote:

Dear
Manager/Team,

I receive the message "Unable to complete Touch ID setup."

To improve understanding of the phenomenon, it would be highly beneficial if you could share a screenshot. Visual representations carry greater impact than written descriptions.

Please remember that this is a public forum, so when attaching a screenshot, please avoid including any personal credentials such as IP addresses, card details, email IDs, Apple IDs, IMEI numbers, serial numbers, phone numbers, order IDs, or any identifiable location information if you are sharing a map.

With the limited information that you have provided, It is hard to even guess the problems faced by you. 

You may get faster and better responses to your query by --> Writing an effective Apple Support Commun… - Apple ...

Please re-post with detail so that someone else can help.

Aug 15, 2023 11:21 PM in response to ASHOKSARAVANAN

This is a user-to-user public forum.

This platform serves as a space for users to engage in meaningful conversations, share information, and exchange ideas related to Apple products. It's a community-driven initiative where users support each other by sharing their experiences and technical expertise in using Apple devices. While Apple Inc. is not actively participating in these discussions, the forum is a valuable resource for seeking guidance and assistance from fellow users who possess a wealth of experience with Apple products. Feel free to explore the discussions, ask questions, and benefit from the collective knowledge of this community.

Aug 19, 2023 5:40 PM in response to SravanKrA

I'm sorry to hear that I have already tried all possible solutions and are still experiencing the same error. It can be frustrating when you put in effort to fix an issue but it persists. In such cases, it might be helpful to seek assistance from an expert or reach out to the technical support team for further guidance. They might have additional insights or alternative solutions that could help resolve the problem.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.