how do i clear the space from my photos app?

hello! i got my ipad in christmas of 2022, it is the latest ipad (or at least was at the time) and is running ios 16. i mainly use android so ive had to get used to it but i think im getting it

i hang out on a lot of forums and social medias, as well as play a lot of gacha games and make a lot of edits. as such, i have a ton of screenshots and videos. my ipad came with 256 gb, so ive been downloading freely, but ive also been conserving my space by deleting apps i dont use every once in a while.

now, this is an issue ive had before. i save a ton of images and videos and all my space is just from my gallery. but on android, you can just delete images and videos to free up space. here i have 99 gb from my photos app alone, but when i delete a bunch of photos and videos on here, nothing happens! a while ago i had 65 gb of photos, and after i deleted a bunch it still said i had 65 gb of them. does anyone know how i can free up all that space? any help would be appreciated!

iPad, iPadOS 16

Posted on Aug 16, 2023 7:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2023 7:49 AM

I wonder if this is it-- trashing a picture on iOS doesn't make it go away completely. It hangs around in the "Recently Deleted" folder for 30 days before being permanently erased. This is quite a good thing! I have many times gone in there and restored pictures that I had mistakenly deleted.

You can select the "deleted" pictures in there and choose "restore" or "delete." If you're really really sure you want to erase them, then you can choose "Delete." There's no going back after that, though.

If you've already tried this, and it isn't the problem, then let us know...

(and I wouldn't totally trust that "storage" number-- it's more like guidelines, really. Give it some time to catch up.)

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 16, 2023 7:49 AM in response to nekromantik_

I wonder if this is it-- trashing a picture on iOS doesn't make it go away completely. It hangs around in the "Recently Deleted" folder for 30 days before being permanently erased. This is quite a good thing! I have many times gone in there and restored pictures that I had mistakenly deleted.

You can select the "deleted" pictures in there and choose "restore" or "delete." If you're really really sure you want to erase them, then you can choose "Delete." There's no going back after that, though.

If you've already tried this, and it isn't the problem, then let us know...

(and I wouldn't totally trust that "storage" number-- it's more like guidelines, really. Give it some time to catch up.)

Aug 16, 2023 7:49 AM in response to nekromantik_

When deleting photos in the Photos app, they will go into a Recently Deleted folder and won't free up space for 30 days giving you a chance to recover your photos if deleted by accident. You can permanently delete the photos by deleting them from the Recently Deleted folder and the storage space will then be freed up. If you do not see it immediately, try to restart the device after deleting.

how do i clear the space from my photos app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.