If my Messages are on iCloud why cant I access them ?

I can't access all my iMessages - says it's stored in iCloud - but on my phone and laptop - it stops content and photos at a specific point and I cant access past a certain time. Why not and is there a way to? Ive tried some of the hints but they dont work. Why use iCloud if its not accessible ?

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Aug 16, 2023 7:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2023 6:14 PM

No , the reason messages are synced only with iCloud , they are saved in devices Mac / iPhone , you will not see a message icon when Apple ID is signed in at www.icloud.com

The syncing happens when messages box is checked , the messages are only synced with iCloud , they are not literally seen at iCloud.com

When you turn on iCloud messages in Mac messages preferences , messages will sync only , yes those messages will again restored back essentially from iPhone and not from iCloud .

See the article Change iMessage settings in Messages on Mac - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 16, 2023 6:14 PM in response to Bommunity

No , the reason messages are synced only with iCloud , they are saved in devices Mac / iPhone , you will not see a message icon when Apple ID is signed in at www.icloud.com

The syncing happens when messages box is checked , the messages are only synced with iCloud , they are not literally seen at iCloud.com

When you turn on iCloud messages in Mac messages preferences , messages will sync only , yes those messages will again restored back essentially from iPhone and not from iCloud .

See the article Change iMessage settings in Messages on Mac - Apple Support

If my Messages are on iCloud why cant I access them ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.