Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Retaining format when copying from Pages on iPad to pasting into Gmail

Just this week I lost the automatic copy from Pages on iPad & pasting into Gmail letter, retaining all the format. Specifically paragraph breaks, numbering, indentation, etc. These features have been working for years up Friday 08/11/23. Now, no matter what I try everything gets pasted in with all the text in one long run on text, with all the numbers, indentations, links, removed. Is this the result of a recent update? Any help to resolve this annoying situation would be greatly appreciated.

iPad Pro, iPadOS 16

Posted on Aug 16, 2023 9:06 AM

8 replies

Aug 16, 2023 9:17 AM in response to JoniTeamK

Pages v13.1 for iPadOS, and iPadOS 16.6 correct?

The Pages product team does not participate in these communities, so they are not going to say "we caused this," and as a fellow user, I cannot speculate about it either. There is always the possibility that Google has made changes to Gmail that now break your long-standing pattern of copy/paste from Pages and that is not something that can be solved in an Apple support community either.

I don't have a GMail client to test this on. Does it offer multiple forms of paste, or just a standard paste?

Oct 30, 2023 6:07 AM in response to JoniTeamK

As a test, and for those that have MS Word on iOS/iPadOS too, try copy/pasting from Word directly into a GMail Compose window and assess the result. Word places 25 distinct data types on the clipboard representing the content that was copied. The ability of GMail to reproduce what was pasted depends directly on how Google designed GMail to accept the right clipboard datatype.

I have Word v16.78 on macOS Sonoma 14.1 and when I copy a paragraph containing some red text and a yellow highlighted word to the clipboard, and then paste directly into a web-based GMail compose window, the text appears exactly as it does in MS Word. This may be Firefox 119.0 or GMail, but that is impossible to determine.

If i take the same exact text marked up identical to what I copied from MS Word, but opened in Pages v13.2, it pastes into GMail compose window as simple plain text. Pages places 18 data types on the clipboard, most for use by Pages, so little wonder that a direct copy/paste from Pages into GMail arrives as plain text.

Google assumes that the majority of users are using MS Word, Word clones, or Google Docs — not Pages, and makes no accommodation for Pages content on the clipboard other than as plain text.

Retaining format when copying from Pages on iPad to pasting into Gmail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.