Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

iPhone calls going straight to voicemail

contacts on my phone like doctor offices and business contractors are going to my voicemail. They are not blocked. They are added to my contact list, but they appear in red instead of black.

iPhone 14 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Aug 17, 2023 5:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2024 1:51 PM

having the same intermittent issue. keeps cropping up--my phone does not even ring . ... goes straight to vmail. no recommended fixes have repaired the problem so far.

67 replies

Aug 17, 2023 5:15 PM in response to MLKAHANE

FIRST: Are there missed calls in Phone/Recents on the phone? If they are not the problem is in the network, because the calls aren’t getting to your phone. Contact your carrier: 

• check with your carrier that they don’t have a local outage, and that you didn’t have any settings that would have immediately invoked voicemail, such as call forwarding.
  • check up on them at Down Detector - Crowdsourced outage checker

If they are in Recents here’s what to check:

• Check the MUTE switch on the left side of the phone, above the volume buttons. It should be towards the screen
  • Check the volume setting. With the Home screen displayed, press the VOLUME UP button on the left side of the phone. It’s above the VOLUME DOWN button.
  • Go to Settings/Phone. There’s a switch for Silence Unknown Callers. If it is on any calls from numbers not in your contacts will go directly to voicemail.
    • If you keep it on, in Settings/Phone make sure Dial Assist is enabled; it is needed to accurately match an incoming call to a contact.
    • Remember that banks, doctors and other professionals may not call you from the same number that you have in your contacts for them.
  • Also in Settings/Phone: Make sure Call Forwarding is off.
  • iOS 14 & older: Go to Settings/Do not Disturb. Turn it off if it is on. Also turn off Scheduled. With both off none of the other switches there matter.
  • iOS 15: Go to Settings/Focus, and verify that all focus settings are disabled.
  • iOS 16: Open the Control Center and turn off Focus.
  • Go to Settings/Sounds & Haptics. Make sure there is a sound assigned to Ringtone.
  • Go to Settings/Accessibility/Touch/Call Audio Routing and make sure Auto-Answer Calls is off.
  • Go to Settings/Screen Time/Communications Limits. Tap each of the 2 entries and make sure both are “Everyone"
  • Restart your phone-->Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support
  • If all else fails, talk your carrier into replacing your SIM card (thanks to ASC user DShelbyD)

Jan 26, 2024 2:55 PM in response to MLKAHANE

This is a total pain in the butt that Apple does not have a "Select rings before going to voice mail" option in settings. I am sick and tired of jumping through hoops getting information on the Apple website as well as YouTube. My phone rings 3 times and goes to voice mail no matter what I do. I have an iPhone 11, iOS17.2.1

I have punched in codes and cotacted my carrier...NOTHING WORKS!

Feb 14, 2024 1:53 PM in response to MLKAHANE

Has nothing but issues since latest update of IOS. Apple helpline told me to do a factory reset. Did that and still not resolved. Asked what I do next person could not help. Can’t uninstall update but phone worked without issue prior to this. Anyone had similar issues I think it is a software glitch Apple having none of it. Thankfully it is a works phone so returning it tomorrow not taking responsibility for missing important calls

Feb 8, 2024 4:16 AM in response to MLKAHANE

I had this problem come up out of seemingly nowhere last week. Every call popped up for a half second with no ring or vibration and straight to VM. I had weird things like this years ago with a Samsung phone and remembered they were caused by an app. So I removed the last app I installed, which was right before this started happening, and it fixed it. What was the app? Rush Bowls, a smoothie/health food eatery. How that was affecting incoming calls, I have no idea.

iPhone calls going straight to voicemail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.