Error Downloading Photo (Apple ID compromised)

My Apple ID was recently compromised, and I lost access to iCloud.

I had a Time Machine backup containing my Photos library, but unfortunately I had selected the "Optimize Mac Storage" option and so the backup only contained low-resolution copies of most of my photos. These photos have an icon of a cloud with an exclamation point in the bottom-right corner, and clicking that shows an "Error Downloading Photo" dialog. Which makes sense, as I no longer have access to the iCloud account containing the full-resolution photo.

I've (mostly) come to terms with having lost the best quality version of my photos. But is there any way to get Photos to stop looking for the full-resolution version? Right now I'm unable to edit or even export these photos without errors. I just want to move on with the low-quality versions and try to forget about this.

MacBook Air (M2, 2022)

Posted on Aug 18, 2023 9:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2023 11:01 AM

mikew_234 wrote:

So if a thief sees you enter your passcode before stealing your phone, they can effectively steal your identity and ownership of your Apple ID, iCloud, and your Apple devices in seconds.

Additional note: Use FaceID or TouchID rather than entering your passcode when you're in public. Obviously, this won't help if someone holds you at weapon point and demands you give them the passcode. But, it should help prevent the kind of shoulder surfing you describe.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 18, 2023 11:01 AM in response to mikew_234

mikew_234 wrote:

So if a thief sees you enter your passcode before stealing your phone, they can effectively steal your identity and ownership of your Apple ID, iCloud, and your Apple devices in seconds.

Additional note: Use FaceID or TouchID rather than entering your passcode when you're in public. Obviously, this won't help if someone holds you at weapon point and demands you give them the passcode. But, it should help prevent the kind of shoulder surfing you describe.

Aug 18, 2023 10:23 AM in response to mikew_234

mikew_234 wrote:

• I've tried multiple support calls and chats, and they won't help me because I don't have access to the 'trusted phone number' of the thief who stole my phone and laptop. Very frustrating.

That's why Apple recommends you have more than one trusted number. I also use my work number (which I update when I change jobs) and my Google Voice number as trusted numbers.

You could also have generated a recovery key. But, like a back up, that needs to be done before disaster strikes. And it does have downsides, most notably that you are entirely reponsible for maintaining the key.

How to generate a recovery key - Apple Support

Don't rely on iCloud as a backup mechanism. It's convenient for syncing between devices, but if you lose access to your Apple ID you can lose everything.

Except for iPhones and iPads, iCloud is not a backup system. It is a syncing system. So, while I'm sorry the lesson was learned in a painful way, it is an important one. And, even if iCloud was a legitimate back up option (to repeat: it's not), it should still not be your only backup.  Security experts, the U.S. government and lots of people here recommend the 3-2-1 backup strategy. The 3-2-1 backup strategy simply states that you should have 3 copies of your data (the data you use on your device(s) and 2 backup copies) on two different media (e.g.external hard drive and cloud) with one copy off-site for disaster recovery. 

All the best of luck.

Aug 18, 2023 10:56 AM in response to mikew_234

mikew_234 wrote:

Thank you, that's very helpful to know that multiple trusted numbers can be used! Although I wonder how easily they can be changed/removed by a thief. At least that would be helpful in the case where a phone number stops working for some reason.

Unless they have your Apple ID, passcode and a current trusted device, they can't even see what they are, let alone change them.

If someone knowledgeable were to write a guide on securing Apple devices, I'd gladly pay for it. Just to have a checklist of best practices, quick guides for what to do in specific situations, and so on. I just had no idea that it could be so easy to take over someone's Apple ID, and there's clearly some things I would've done differently had I known.

Start here:

Use the built-in privacy and security protections of iPhone - Apple Support

There are tips and lots of useful links.

Aug 18, 2023 10:16 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

I've tried multiple support calls and chats, and they won't help me because I don't have access to the 'trusted phone number' of the thief who stole my phone and laptop. Very frustrating.

I've offered to provide a passport or other identification, I have access to the email address for the Apple ID, the credit card used to make purchases, and I have the 'trusted phone number' that was used for years prior to it being changed a few days ago. I have 10 different Apple devices that are all associated with the Apple ID. I live at the address associated with the account. I have a police report showing that I was drugged and robbed. It should be clear that I'm the rightful account owner, but they won't/can't do anything due to policies that make the phone number the primary means of verification. So if a thief sees you enter your passcode before stealing your phone, they can effectively steal your identity and ownership of your Apple ID, iCloud, and your Apple devices in seconds.

Lessons learned:

• Don't rely on iCloud as a backup mechanism. It's convenient for syncing between devices, but if you lose access to your Apple ID you can lose everything.
  • Don't use 'optimize Mac storage' options. This means that your full-resolution photos (or iCloud documents) are only in iCloud, and won't be included in Time Machine backups.
  • Seriously consider not using Find My, or otherwise locking devices to an Apple ID. I'm in the process of trying to remove activation lock from an iPad and Apple Watch (I need to dig up receipts proving I purchased them) and I now have an iPad I purchased used that I'll never be able to use with my new Apple ID. And if the thief decides to put any of my devices in Lost Mode, they'll stop working entirely.

Aug 18, 2023 10:34 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Thank you, that's very helpful to know that multiple trusted numbers can be used! Although I wonder how easily they can be changed/removed by a thief. At least that would be helpful in the case where a phone number stops working for some reason.

I'll read more into Recovery Keys and how best to set that up. Same goes for having a better backup strategy.

If someone knowledgeable were to write a guide on securing Apple devices, I'd gladly pay for it. Just to have a checklist of best practices, quick guides for what to do in specific situations, and so on. I just had no idea that it could be so easy to take over someone's Apple ID, and there's clearly some things I would've done differently had I known.

Error Downloading Photo (Apple ID compromised)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.