Apple blocked imessage, accused of spam! Said can only unblock 1x

My daughter's imessage stopped working. After days of frustration, and hours on phone with various support agents, and rebooting phone to factory settings, we finally got to the bottom of it- She was blocked - accused of spam.

She is not spamming. I am trying to find out if anyone else is having this happen. An old discussion touched on topic, and stated that the apple support representative said even 1 person reporting someone as spam, could result in this happening.

Our support person stated that they can unblock 1x as a courtesy, BUT if it happens again, it could result in fines, even being completely blocked out of her apple id. Which of course stores decade's worth of pics, memories and contacts. Our support person said too it could be 1, 3, 5 pp reporting, they don't have a formula shared with them. She just had to read us the disclaimer.

I'm trying to look for a link that states HOW THIS WORKS. Where did we agree to this ...the terms of how someone is reported, and ramifications, etc. I'd like to read on apples legals...can 1 person really report you as spam & it just is?

If this happened to you, please share your experience. I already gave feedback. I plan to recall apple support to see if they can provide me a link to the legals as well.

iPhone 14

Posted on Aug 18, 2023 3:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2024 9:29 AM

I have requested the transcript from Apple privacy and I am going to file a complaint with the FTC.

[Edited by Moderator]

Similar questions

38 replies

Nov 13, 2023 7:19 PM in response to TM_cali

This happened to me too! I noticed a few days ago that my messaging was not working and after trying to follow the recommended fixes provided by Apple online I called. I was on the phone for hours walking through things I had already done and finally the last person I spoke with decided to check with her supervisor.

she then stated that my iMessage had been looked by Apple due to spam! What?! I have never in my life sent spam and she continued to tell me they would only remove the lock one time, but would not do it again in the future.

I spoke with the supervisor because I use my phone for work and to call my clients and send reminder text messages and asked if they could see what it was that was “spam”. He stated no and resolved the issue for me and then stated that if it happens again I could call back.

but wait…? What is the right answer here? And it’s a bit frightening to think that my access to a feature, on a device I paid for to provide those features, can just be taken away with ZERO explanation.

id love to know if you received any further info from Apple or have heard this happening to others? I’ve been an apple costumer for 12 years and now I’m reconsidering that.

Nov 13, 2023 9:39 PM in response to shoeluvr13

The problem is- she wasn’t spamming, as many others here are experiencing. Yet if someone just wants to hit junk/spam- what is stopping them?

If a phone is getting dozens of spam/junk notifications, yes, I understand & appreciate apple should do something. But if someone accidentally hits it, or someone doesn’t recognize the number & hits it- it seems absurd that can put you in iMessage jail. With only 1 courtesy unlock.

[Edited by Moderator]

Dec 4, 2023 10:59 AM in response to TM_cali

Hello, I just got done messaging a support agent to unblock my account too. I was just banned yesterday somewhere between the hours of 2 PM CST and 6 PM CST. They said they blocked my account due to spam when the only person I even messaged yesterday was my husband. I asked the support person to tell me when my account was blocked since I was using imessage yesterday and then within a few hours I was blocked when I only messaged one person and he said "The system only shows that was yesterday. To be completely honest Kayla, it was just an error of the system or a bad interpretation of some message".

I just don't understand how they can do that to someone without any warning. My husband works in an area without a cell signal so we rely on imessages to communicate.

Nov 13, 2023 8:57 PM in response to Emzers4all

Likely one or more person reported a message from you as junk. (Open the spam text and tap Report Junk underneath it. Finally, tap Delete and Report Junk.) This could have been in error by then so that’s why Apple didn’t ban permanently first time.

As for access to the iMessage feature, you are using a free Apple ID and agreed to Apple’s terms and conditions of use and they have the right to revoke use if they reasonably believe you’ve broken those conditions. See the links I replied to OP with.

If you aren’t spamming people you shouldn’t run into this again.

Mar 2, 2024 12:55 PM in response to TM_cali

This also happened to my daughter, she has not spammed anyone. But had kept being added to random facetime group calls but was not accepting these she was then banned from iMessage and FaceTime, again we only realises this after me calling apple and the network provider to assist with why iMessage was not working.

Then on the 2nd call to Apple they informed us that she had been blocked for spam, and they will on this occasion lift it but if it happens again she will loose her apple id and icloud would be lost etc, loosing pics and everything.

Apple blocked imessage, accused of spam! Said can only unblock 1x

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.