You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Can my iPhone be hacked through Safari?

I was browsing on Safari Private Mode and the website on my tab suddenly switched to the website I was previously on, and when I clicked to go forward it took me to a Google image search of cats. I turned off Wifi for a bit and restarted my device. I have an iPhone 11 and it is fully updated to the latest version of iOS (16.6). I checked all of my apps, files and activity, but I didn’t find anything suspicious. Should I be worried about this? Is there a chance that my phone been hacked? Thank you in advance for your help.

[Re-titled by Moderator]

iPhone 11, iOS 16

Posted on Aug 19, 2023 12:36 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2024 7:32 PM

So I was just looking through safari and randomly it says “your safari has been hacked (or phone idk) so I left safari but nothing seems to suspicious. What should I do??? Thanks in advance.

10 replies

Oct 22, 2023 6:51 PM in response to nywb

Yes-hackers use malware to take control of devices.

Following are suggestions based on what I have learned through countless hours of reading up on cyber security and living with hacking problem for almost one year: put a freeze on your credit file with all four credit agencies; on your devices turn off bluetooth and wifi when you are not using them; on your iPhone go to settings-wifi-edit and turn off auto join wifi networks; use an app that protects you from malicious web sites; do not click on any link whether it be in a text or email; do not unsubscribe from receiving emails by clicking a link at the bottom if the email. Text messages and emails messages are easily spoofed; start using security keys (Yubi is one company) to sign into your online accounts; use a domain name service (dns) on your router and on any device you are not using a vpn; on your ios device, if you get a pop up stating that your input was wrong (whether it be an email password or something else) before resetting your password, which is what they want you to do, turn off all notifications under settings. Clear out your browsing history and data in Safari and reboot your device. Then try to do the activity again. You should be able to complete the activity. This was my latest lesson learned from just a couple of days ago. The malware on my device controls the popups so even when I entered a correct password, passcode, or 2nd factor authentication code I would get a popup stating that it was wrong. This has been going on for months; everyday reboot your ios device, and on a regular basis delete your Safari history and data.After receiving too many system pops since getting this phone in May of this year and after seeing evidence that the hacker was on this device (ANOTHER new device in my attempt to escape his/her/their reaches) I stopped answering/responding to the popup and would force my phone to reboot to avoid being forced to respond to the popup. After not responding to their regular popups, asking if I wanted to "undo" an activity or asking if "I was sure" that I wanted to continue with an activity, they sent me a survey on an app I was using. After staring at the popup "knowing" it was from the hacker, I made a conscious decision to answer the survey so I could get confirmation that the hacker was indeed using malware popups. Shortly after responding to the survey, I checked all of the settings on my phone. Every screen time setting had been changed and the password deleted. Anybody who tells you, "Iphones cant be hacked", or that "it's your fault if you get malware" knows absolutely nothing about the state of cyber security in the world today. Every time I read a post or hear someone say that iPhones cant be hacked, I think of how TOTALLY CLUELESS they are. Start researching "ios zero day exploits", "ios vulnerabilities", "ios security updates". Some of Apple's latest security updates patched exploits that gave kernal privileges to imessage, safari, find my and other apps. Also, google "Today Show February 2023 Apple security update" ( or something similar to that) where they mention the zero day exploit that was patched.

If you want to know if your devices and possibly network have been hacked, (1) on your iPhone go to settings, screen time, content & privacy restrictions and restrict activity on your phone. Enter a passcode.( Every time I have tried to lock down a device with strict security settings, the hacker has removed the settings) (2) on your home network, make sure you have your correct wifi password and network name. Take a tv (or another device)off the wifi network. Do not accept any password that is auto populated when you are reconnecting. Instead, delete by backspacing any auto populated password and type the password you know is correct. If the password doesn't work, the hacker has changed the password, reconnected your devices to their network, and is probably monitoring all of your network activity. This may sound really crazy .... but before you start down this investigative security journey, think twice and make sure you really want to know if someone is watching all of your internet activity, because while there are steps you can take to make your digital life more secure, once they have been on your devices and network, they probably have a lot if not all of your personal inform. My first 4-5 months of this journey, I was in panic/stressed out mode and then anger kicked in. Now, Ive been forced to accept the hacker/malware to a certain degree because I don't have the training or skill set to fight them, although I am learning a-lot online, on YouTube, and will be enrolling in a coding class to hopefully help me fight them by protecting my devices.

The malware that I have in this Iphone 13, survives/persists factory resets and using a new Apple ID. Getting a new phone number doesn't help because the hacker has access to my contacts and gets my new number.

Aug 20, 2023 1:28 AM in response to nywb

If you feel an unauthorized person/app is remotely using, controlling or monitoring your device, then that is possible only if you have done one or more of the following Don'ts...

1. Don't hand over an iPhone to kids or to a stranger without Enabling Guided Access
  2. Don't share Apple IDs
  3. Don't Jailbreak
  4. Don't share sensitive information pertaining to your device
  5. Don't give in to Phishing
  6. Don't plug in your device in Airports and Public places through third-party cables and trust the device. Beware of Juice Jacking. (Especially in India)
  7. Don't leave your iPhone unlocked and unattended in public places like offices, schools, malls, etc.

If one of the above is true then quickly change the Apple ID Password and Return iPhone settings to their defaults.

Keep the iPhone updated to the latest iOS always and never Jailbreak. That's it.

iOS / iPadOS devices cannot be hacked or infected with Virus / Malware / Spyware unless you have intentionally downloaded spurious software or unauthorized apps directly from the internet and installed them on your device or/and have Jailbroken

It (Hacking) also depends on how careful you are in sharing sensitive and valuable information pertaining to your iPhone such as Passcode, Password, etc with your friends and family members.

Be judicious when sharing the device's sensitive and valuable information with friends and family members.

If you don't reckon what is said above is true then you have two options...

1. Report the hacking incident that you are facing to the local law enforcement authorities and follow it up
  2. Believe it, it can't be hacked. There are people who still believe that the earth is flat and also some believe no one has ever landed on the moon. What can anyone do about that? This is a free world you can believe in anything, the choice is yours.

Mar 5, 2024 9:08 PM in response to Np0323

Np0323 wrote:

So I was just looking through safari and randomly it says “your safari has been hacked (or phone idk) so I left safari but nothing seems to suspicious. What should I do??? Thanks in advance.

Pop-up phishing scams. Someone is trying to get you to click on a link and then give you personal information. As long as you don't do that, they are harmless.

Jul 30, 2024 4:23 AM in response to nywb

Hi there,

It sounds like you had an unusual experience while browsing in Safari's Private Mode. Here are a few things to consider:

1. Sometimes, Safari may behave unpredictably due to issues with the browser itself or temporary glitches. It's possible that the issue you experienced was a minor hiccup rather than a sign of hacking.
  2. Private Browsing Mode is designed to prevent tracking and not save your browsing history, but it doesn’t protect against all types of malware or phishing attempts.
  3. Since you haven't found anything suspicious in your apps, files, or activity, it's less likely that your phone has been hacked. However, continuing to monitor your device for any unusual behavior is a good practice.
  4. Ensure that your iPhone is always updated to the latest version of iOS, as updates often include important security patches. Also, consider clearing your browser history and cache, and check for any unauthorized extensions or settings.

If you continue to experience issues or have concerns about the security of your device, it might be a good idea to contact Apple Support for a thorough check-up.

Hope this helps!

Can my iPhone be hacked through Safari?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.