How come I am not getting sound when I'm on Safari?

I go to web sites while using Safari to hear music & I get no sound But if I use another browser I can hear the music? What is going on?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Aug 19, 2023 9:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2023 4:48 PM

Hi Jsongbird,

The first point to note is that it's possible to intentionally mute audio from a Safari page following the options in Mute audio in tabs in Safari on Mac. Start there and ensure the mentioned steps/options have not been enabled by accident.

Next if still unresolved would be to clear Safari history per Clear your browsing history in Safari on Mac. You can also force a refresh of Safari by holding the Shift key while opening it. Per Prevent apps and windows from reopening on Mac:

"Press and hold the Shift key while opening the app. This doesn't change any settings, but the app forgets any windows that were open the last time you quit the app."

Finally if still happening you may try starting your Mac into safe mode per Use safe mode on your Mac. This may help identify plug-ins or extensions that could be causing the behavior you describe.

Regards.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 20, 2023 4:48 PM in response to Jsongbird

Hi Jsongbird,

The first point to note is that it's possible to intentionally mute audio from a Safari page following the options in Mute audio in tabs in Safari on Mac. Start there and ensure the mentioned steps/options have not been enabled by accident.

Next if still unresolved would be to clear Safari history per Clear your browsing history in Safari on Mac. You can also force a refresh of Safari by holding the Shift key while opening it. Per Prevent apps and windows from reopening on Mac:

"Press and hold the Shift key while opening the app. This doesn't change any settings, but the app forgets any windows that were open the last time you quit the app."

Finally if still happening you may try starting your Mac into safe mode per Use safe mode on your Mac. This may help identify plug-ins or extensions that could be causing the behavior you describe.

Regards.

How come I am not getting sound when I'm on Safari?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.