You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help needed: adding more accented/ language specific letters when using a hardware keyboard

I have noticed that when I hold down a key on my hardware keyboard options for alternate versions of that character appear but the characters I need are not included. If I use an the onscreen keyboard in Maltese the characters are there and work with many fonts. Is there a way to change or add to these the options offered? or an other way I can type the following characters (ġ ċ ħ ż) without having to use the virtual keyboard.

So far I’ve tried setting my keyboard language to maltese but no alternative options were even given when I held the keys down.

iPad, iOS 9

Posted on Aug 20, 2023 9:02 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2023 10:02 AM

sarasimo wrote:

other way I can type the following characters (ġ ċ ħ ż) without having to use the virtual keyboard.

Go to settings > general > keyboard > hardware keyboard and tap over at the right edge for Maltese. Hopefully you will see a list with Maltese on it, which you should check. Then your hardware keyboard will act like the one below

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 20, 2023 10:02 AM in response to sarasimo

sarasimo wrote:

other way I can type the following characters (ġ ċ ħ ż) without having to use the virtual keyboard.

Go to settings > general > keyboard > hardware keyboard and tap over at the right edge for Maltese. Hopefully you will see a list with Maltese on it, which you should check. Then your hardware keyboard will act like the one below

Help needed: adding more accented/ language specific letters when using a hardware keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.