Spam texts in iMessage

I have “filter unknown numbers” on in my iMessage settings but I continue to get spam messages and notifications

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on Aug 20, 2023 7:39 PM

7 replies

Aug 21, 2023 4:39 PM in response to aarrkkeejj

Hello aarrkkeejj,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand the importance of getting this issue resolved, and we'd like to help. To get started, we'd like to gather some information to better understand the situation:

• Which iOS version is currently installed on your iPhone? Settings > General > About.
  • When did you first noticed this issue?
  • Are you seeing these messages in Blue or green bubbles?

You can filter messages from unknown senders using these steps:

Filter messages from unknown senders
You can filter messages from people who aren't saved in your Contacts.
iPhone showing how to filter Unknown Senders

To filter messages, go to Settings > Messages, scroll down and turn on Filter Unknown Senders.
iPhone showing a filtered message

In Messages, tap  Filters, then tap Unknown Senders. You won't get notifications for these messages.

Report spam or junk in the Messages app
You can report iMessages that look like spam or junk from the Messages app. If you get an iMessage from someone who's not saved in your Contacts, you'll see a Report Junk link under the message.
iPhone showing how to report junk in the Messages app

Tap Report Junk, then tap Delete and Report Junk. Messages will forward the sender's information and the message to Apple, as well as delete the message.
Reporting junk doesn't block the sender from being able to send another message. If you don't want to receive these messages, you need to block the contact.
To report SMS and MMS messages, contact your carrier.

Block phone numbers, contacts, and emails on your iPhone or iPad

We hope this information is useful. Kind regards.

Aug 21, 2023 6:24 PM in response to aarrkkeejj

aarrkkeejj wrote:

I have “filter unknown numbers” on in my iMessage settings but I continue to get spam messages and notifications

That sorts the SMS messages into the known senders and unknown senders buckets. It does not discard unknown senders.

You can set the unknown senders to not disturb you, if all of those that would be sending you SMS messages are known.

Settings > Messages > Notifications > Customize Notifications > Unknown Senders (off)

Aug 21, 2023 4:56 PM in response to nbotros

Hi I’m running 16.6. I would say it’s gotten worse in the last 6 months. I already have filter unknown senders on in messages. It does filter them as unknown but they still appear in my inbox and the text alert still goes off. So I’m getting random spam texts at 2 am that are waking me up. They come in blue. What I want is for the unknown sender messages to be silent if I can’t actually block them. I block them after I get them but that’s too late. They’ve already woken me up by then.

Aug 21, 2023 5:57 PM in response to LeleN1

Unfortunately this doesn’t work for me. I’m a clinician and I am on call. I have to be reachable for clinically urgent situations. So I’m often up through the night and sleeping during the day. I can’t use do not disturb. I’m still unclear why the messages are coming through though if they are from unknown senders? What is the filter meant to do if it’s still letting them ring through?

Aug 21, 2023 6:04 PM in response to aarrkkeejj

Hi aarrkkeejj,

As you indicate they are getting filtered, checking to verify which messages you should view will be next.

In the Messages app, tap Filters in the upper-left corner. Here you should be presented with several options including All Messages, Known Senders, Unknown Senders, and Unread Messages. Choose Known Senders to view only messages that have not been filtered and see if this addresses the concern.

If not, toggling the setting to filter the unknown messages may prove helpful or contact Apple Support to investigate this function further.

Regards.

Spam texts in iMessage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.