You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What's the best surface for a magic mouse?

My magic mouse, which is only 3 months old, has developed a stutter/lag when tracking horizontally. It is placed on a wooden table top the surface of which is polished and it has a grain pattern. The mouse seems to lag, as described above, at various small areas on the table top, but there is no obvious visual differences in these parts of the table top. Vertical movements work fine.This table has been my mouse surface (including a previous magic mouse) for about ten years.

iMac (M1, 2021)

Posted on Aug 21, 2023 1:00 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2024 12:08 PM

I have experimented with mouse pads for many years. Mouse pads with a cloth surface are execrable: they have high levels of friction, making mouse use tiresome and slow. So I have tried lots of non-mouse surfaces. Brushed metal surfaces work well -- the underside of a MacBook works beautifully. Shiny metal surfaces, though, can cause skipping. I haven't tried this yet, but I suspect that you could get some aluminum sheet from a hardware store and sand it with fine sandpaper -- say, 600 -- and get a good surface; but this might add to the friction. I have also tried a piece of black shiny tile, and that worked pretty well, too.

However, my greatest success was with a thin sheet of transparent plastic. Now, I have tried all sorts of transparent stuff, and it never works -- but this stuff is only 0.020" inches thick, and I glued it to a foam rubber pad, and it works beautifully. The mouse glides across it easily; it has the lowest coefficient of static friction of anything. Yet another transparent plastic sheet just 0.040" thick refuses to work. I wanted to make a good mouse pad for a friend, but I just couldn't find that thin plastic sheeting anywhere. And even thinner stuff, like sheet protectors for paper documents, doesn't work, either. Maybe this stuff I'm using is magic.

I have been experimenting with polished corian but so far it doesn't seem to offer much advantage.

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 23, 2024 12:08 PM in response to Ken W

I have experimented with mouse pads for many years. Mouse pads with a cloth surface are execrable: they have high levels of friction, making mouse use tiresome and slow. So I have tried lots of non-mouse surfaces. Brushed metal surfaces work well -- the underside of a MacBook works beautifully. Shiny metal surfaces, though, can cause skipping. I haven't tried this yet, but I suspect that you could get some aluminum sheet from a hardware store and sand it with fine sandpaper -- say, 600 -- and get a good surface; but this might add to the friction. I have also tried a piece of black shiny tile, and that worked pretty well, too.

However, my greatest success was with a thin sheet of transparent plastic. Now, I have tried all sorts of transparent stuff, and it never works -- but this stuff is only 0.020" inches thick, and I glued it to a foam rubber pad, and it works beautifully. The mouse glides across it easily; it has the lowest coefficient of static friction of anything. Yet another transparent plastic sheet just 0.040" thick refuses to work. I wanted to make a good mouse pad for a friend, but I just couldn't find that thin plastic sheeting anywhere. And even thinner stuff, like sheet protectors for paper documents, doesn't work, either. Maybe this stuff I'm using is magic.

I have been experimenting with polished corian but so far it doesn't seem to offer much advantage.

Mar 19, 2024 8:24 AM in response to Ken W

@ErasmusFrog,

thank you for detailed info - my thoughts on the Apple Magic mouse - the hard rubber bars touching the surface produce too much friction for a regular tabletop for very comfortable use >8 hrs daily. I found out that thin plastic pads like Razer's that get glued to the table work better than the table surface itself since mouse just glides over it more easily than on the table itself.

https://www.razer.com/eu-en/gaming-mouse-mats/razer-sphex-v3

Jun 20, 2024 4:51 PM in response to ErasmusFrog

Marble is the best surface I have found. Smooth, fast, no friction, and great tracking. Those stylish marble kitchen tables or cafe tables are the best I have found. In a pinch? Cut out the side of a cereal box and use the glossy printed side up. Works well. My 2000 Optical Microsoft USB Mouse works on almost any surface, but it is corded so can use a blinding amount of LED light. The Magic Mouse is battery powered, so I think it uses much less light, making it much more picky about the surface used. If it is really acting up, recharge it!

What's the best surface for a magic mouse?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.