iMac 27" 2020 crashing often

Hi, can anyone help me diagnose why this iMac crashes several times a day. I have tried full reset. Stock RAM. No external display. Updated all software. It is often triggered when I start playing music so could be related to audio hardware or just increased CPU usage?

iMac (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Aug 22, 2023 5:06 AM

12 replies

Aug 22, 2023 11:55 AM in response to jamespaulley

Make sure the RAM modules are firmly seated in their slots.

Create and log into a new, basic, admin user account, Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac and see if the problem persists. This tells us if the problem is limited to your user account or is system wide.

Note:  do not launch any 3rd party apps in the new account so as to not install any of the supporting files that most create.

Aug 23, 2023 10:01 AM in response to jamespaulley

No! I'm saying that Apple will do a free diagnostic check on out of warranty Macs but I'm not sure AASPs will. They may pay for the diagnostic check and wave it if you have them do the repairs. But that's just a guess. If you go to an AASP call them first to get the costs upfront for the diagnosis.

Apple will perform free diagnostics on any Mac that it does not consider Vintage or Obsolete. The free app MacTracker  can tell you which are or re not Vintage or Obsolete as well as every possible about a particular device.

iMac 27" 2020 crashing often

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.