Problems with my iMac screen

My screen is grey, it is also failing through the start up process and screen just freezes.

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Aug 22, 2023 5:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2023 10:09 AM

Welcome!

What is the model year of your iMac? That can make a difference in the kind of guidance you need. iMacs have been in continuous production since 1998 with easily a thousand variants. The variant determines what actions are appropriate and what actions could damage the computer.

As your computer will not start, you can try Apple's serial number lookup to get the iMac sub-model:

Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support

but PLEASE DO NOT post you serial number here for security reasons.

On newer iMacs with a "footed" metal stand, the sticker with the number is on the bottom of the "foot":

Lacking that, you can take a picture on your phone and upload it using the "Insert Image" tool:

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 22, 2023 10:09 AM in response to Sea-A

Welcome!

What is the model year of your iMac? That can make a difference in the kind of guidance you need. iMacs have been in continuous production since 1998 with easily a thousand variants. The variant determines what actions are appropriate and what actions could damage the computer.

As your computer will not start, you can try Apple's serial number lookup to get the iMac sub-model:

Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support

but PLEASE DO NOT post you serial number here for security reasons.

On newer iMacs with a "footed" metal stand, the sticker with the number is on the bottom of the "foot":

Lacking that, you can take a picture on your phone and upload it using the "Insert Image" tool:

Problems with my iMac screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.