You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro A1707 blackscreen-ish

So I have a Macbook pro 2017 (A1707) which had a faulty ssd so I got myself a secondhand logicboard. When I have installed the new logicboard the screen wont turn on (not even backlight), neither does the touch bar. I've tried resetting SMC and NVRAM, boot up in all different modes with no luck. Same thing with external display, the display is signaling that it is getting a signal but screen remains black.

When I have the macbook turned off, plug in the external display and then boot up holding Options/Alt I am getting an image on my external display and I can choose to start up via Mac HD or, in my case, bootable Ventura installer. The mac display remains black but when I close the lid and open (still on the 'choose drive' screen) the backlight comes on but the display remains black. If I click either of the drives the external display goes to black.

I've tried using DFU method using my new M1 Ventura but doesn't seem to work. My mac display is working fine with the old/original logicboard so no display issues.

Does anyone know what this could be?

Any help appreciated!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Aug 22, 2023 11:29 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Aug 22, 2023 6:46 PM in response to PedroScorce

Seems like the replacement Logic Board has a hardware issue with the internal video connection. Make sure the internal video cable is properly connected to the Logic Board. If the Logic Board came with a cable, then try swapping cables with the one from your laptop.

Purchasing used parts & devices online from unknown people is risky since many of them never verify the item is fully functional, nor do many of them properly prepare them.

FYI, DFU Mode only became available with Apple computers beginning with the 2018+ models (except for the iMac Pro which had it a year or so earlier)

Macbook Pro A1707 blackscreen-ish

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.