My macbook freezes due to touchbar flicker

I purchased my m1 macbook pro with the touchbar in December 2020 in India. Then I moved to the UK, It was working fine until November 2022 when I moved to another house when the dreaded touchbar flicker started plaguing my laptop. When I put my laptop in sleep mode and then wake it up by opening the lid, the touchbar flickers with bright light on the right side and and then doesnt turn back on. However, it does respond to touch response. I had to use my muscle memory to adjust the brightness or the volume. During this time, when I tap the touchbar to put it in sleep mode, the entire laptop freezes and crashes to sleep mode, where I had to re-enter my password.

Circling back to my first situation, the laptop worked fine again when I took it back to India (Weird?!!) and there was no touchbar flicker.

I'm not sure If someone has faced a similiar issue and I feel really embarassed to ask the community because of the way the laptop crashes. I am out of warranty and after reading through multiple forums, either I have to pay an insane amount of money to repair or ever worse it doesnt get resolved even after the repair.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 14.0

Posted on Aug 22, 2023 12:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2023 5:00 PM

newman80 wrote:

I purchased my m1 macbook pro with the touchbar in December 2020 in India. Then I moved to the UK, It was working fine until November 2022 when I moved to another house when the dreaded touchbar flicker started plaguing my laptop. When I put my laptop in sleep mode and then wake it up by opening the lid, the touchbar flickers with bright light on the right side and and then doesnt turn back on. However, it does respond to touch response. I had to use my muscle memory to adjust the brightness or the volume. During this time, when I tap the touchbar to put it in sleep mode, the entire laptop freezes and crashes to sleep mode, where I had to re-enter my password.

Circling back to my first situation, the laptop worked fine again when I took it back to India (Weird?!!) and there was no touchbar flicker.

I'm not sure If someone has faced a similiar issue and I feel really embarassed to ask the community because of the way the laptop crashes. I am out of warranty and after reading through multiple forums, either I have to pay an insane amount of money to repair or ever worse it doesnt get resolved even after the repair.

M1/M2 Mac—

The best you can do if you have an issue— equivalent Shut down, close the lid 30 secs+ , reboot as normal.

If no resolve try SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support to sort anomalies.

If the no progress, the issue persist typically indicates a hardware problem...

Check your coverage

My Support - Official Apple Support

Learn how to get your Mac fixed and how much it will cost. Mac Repair - Official Apple Support

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support

Use Apple Diagnostics does not always pickup hardware issues—but you can try it

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 22, 2023 5:00 PM in response to newman80

newman80 wrote:

M1/M2 Mac—

The best you can do if you have an issue— equivalent Shut down, close the lid 30 secs+ , reboot as normal.

If no resolve try SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support to sort anomalies.

If the no progress, the issue persist typically indicates a hardware problem...

Check your coverage

My Support - Official Apple Support

Learn how to get your Mac fixed and how much it will cost. Mac Repair - Official Apple Support

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support

Use Apple Diagnostics does not always pickup hardware issues—but you can try it

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

My macbook freezes due to touchbar flicker

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.