Best Macbook configuration for video conferencing

I have a 2020 MacBook Air 1.1 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB, 8 GB 3733 MHz LPDDR4X. I do a lot of Zoom videoconferencing, some days for up to 3 hours.

My current laptop gets super hot (not unexpected) but the sound of the fan is really impacting the quality of the video calls. I sometimes struggle to hear what the other person is saying over the sound of the fan.

I'm about to buy a new machine, and I want to make sure I don't just replicate existing problems.

Would more RAM help (as one Apple guy suggested)?

I'm drawn to the M2 Macbook Air as it is fanless ... I'd appreciate any advice on whether this is a good way to go, and if there are any customisations from the baseline that would make for a better Zoom experience.

Sadly money isn't limitless, but I can't really afford to go wild on the best ever ... just what will work smoothly.

Thanks in anticipation!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Aug 25, 2023 10:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2023 11:56 AM

The M series Macs utilize memory in a completely different manner than Intel Macs. It's not really possible to draw a direct comparison between them, but an M series Mac uses RAM much more efficiently. Whereas your present Mac might be performance-limited with 8 GB, the M series might not be.

More is always better, but...

It's very easy to determine if your present Mac's performance is being limited by available memory. Please read Check if your Mac needs more RAM in Activity Monitor - Apple Support. If the "Memory Pressure" graph is frequently "red" your Mac would benefit from additional memory. If not, it won't. It's that simple.

I was never impressed with the Intel i5 CPUs. The M2 is certain to run rings around it. I cannot guaranteed it but I am nearly certain you will find its exhaust fan will not be objectionably loud given similar apps used in the way you have been accustomed to using them.

Personal recommendation: consider the length of time you want your Mac to remain in service (seven years is reasonable), consider what you are likely to use it for during that time (bearing in mind things will happen in the next several years that no one can possibly predict), estimate the configuration appropriate for those needs... and then double it.

If you are only going to keep your Mac for two or three years, then it doesn't really matter, does it?

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 25, 2023 11:56 AM in response to MidnightPink

The M series Macs utilize memory in a completely different manner than Intel Macs. It's not really possible to draw a direct comparison between them, but an M series Mac uses RAM much more efficiently. Whereas your present Mac might be performance-limited with 8 GB, the M series might not be.

More is always better, but...

It's very easy to determine if your present Mac's performance is being limited by available memory. Please read Check if your Mac needs more RAM in Activity Monitor - Apple Support. If the "Memory Pressure" graph is frequently "red" your Mac would benefit from additional memory. If not, it won't. It's that simple.

I was never impressed with the Intel i5 CPUs. The M2 is certain to run rings around it. I cannot guaranteed it but I am nearly certain you will find its exhaust fan will not be objectionably loud given similar apps used in the way you have been accustomed to using them.

Personal recommendation: consider the length of time you want your Mac to remain in service (seven years is reasonable), consider what you are likely to use it for during that time (bearing in mind things will happen in the next several years that no one can possibly predict), estimate the configuration appropriate for those needs... and then double it.

If you are only going to keep your Mac for two or three years, then it doesn't really matter, does it?

Aug 25, 2023 4:59 PM in response to MidnightPink

16 GB memory is a good choice.

As for storage... it's hard to say, but the minimum available configuration (whatever that happens to be) is certain to be insufficient. To estimate how much you may need, determine how much you are using at present (use About This Mac > Storage), and double it. That result is the minimum you should consider. It takes into account how much storage you have been using and allows for a sufficient amount of expansion.

iCloud is fine but its best most useful feature is the availability of files and documents across all your Apple devices, however many you may have, and wherever you may be. Don't think of iCloud Drive in terms of it being available as "extra" storage. Besides, it's only 5 GB, unless you want to pay for more — forever.

.. but having said that .. I never actually restored a backup from it in the X years it was operational. Perhaps it was just a peace-of-mind thing).

That's usually the way it is 🙂

Aug 25, 2023 4:41 PM in response to John Galt

Thank you for your helpful comments.

It is good advice to look to how long one wants to the Mac to remain in service. My previous MacBook was a stalwart for 7 years before I handed it on .. although that was pre-Zoom days, so it didn't have such a hard life 😂

On. my present Macbook there have been periods when the activity monitor graph is in the red zone, so I'm going to up to 16GB on the new one.

Anything else I should consider before pressing <buy>? Storage capacity? I keep thinking with iCloud it shouldn't be necessary to keep upping physical storage capacity (I do regret the recent death of my old AirPort for physical storage of backups .. but having said that .. I never actually restored a backup from it in the X years it was operational. Perhaps it was just a peace-of-mind thing).

Thanks again.

Best Macbook configuration for video conferencing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.