Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is the Apple M1‑chip good for video editing?

So I've had the MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2019, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports) with 1,4GHz i5 and 8 GB memory for a bit less than 2 years now. But as much as I love this MacBook I think it's time for a new one because when I start video editing I notice that this MacBook is sometimes very slow and needs a lot of loading. The Macbook also starts getting really hot when I open and work with Final Cut Pro X.

I've chatted with someone from Apple customer care and he says that the Apple M1‑chip with 8‑core CPU and 16‑core Neural Engine is perfect for me. I just wanted to here your thoughts about this MacBook and if this is a good idea for someone who edits and sometimes makes a little bit of music too with Logic Pro X.

I just wanna make sure this is a good MacBook that I can use for at least a couple of years.

Thank u in advance!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 29, 2021 9:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2021 11:24 AM

I don't think Luis has an M1. I have the 13" MBP. In my export tests, the M1 was slightly faster than my 2019 16" MBP, except in one case. 10-bit HEVC, in which the Intel is quite slow, the M1 was more than twice as fast. The editing is very smooth; the application, which is tuned for Apple Silicon, is very responsive. The machine is very quiet, the fans hardly ever run up. The battery is amazing. The best battery I've ever had in a MBP. True, I've never had a 13" before, so the screen is taking less power. It's a great machine. I just wish the screen was bigger. I find it constrained for FCP. The minis I'm sure have the same performance or better. If you want a laptop, I'd wait for later in the year. Otherwise, a mini would be great, probably the iMac too, but I think they're ugly, and the colors are just not something you want around video editing software.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2021 11:24 AM in response to terryb

I don't think Luis has an M1. I have the 13" MBP. In my export tests, the M1 was slightly faster than my 2019 16" MBP, except in one case. 10-bit HEVC, in which the Intel is quite slow, the M1 was more than twice as fast. The editing is very smooth; the application, which is tuned for Apple Silicon, is very responsive. The machine is very quiet, the fans hardly ever run up. The battery is amazing. The best battery I've ever had in a MBP. True, I've never had a 13" before, so the screen is taking less power. It's a great machine. I just wish the screen was bigger. I find it constrained for FCP. The minis I'm sure have the same performance or better. If you want a laptop, I'd wait for later in the year. Otherwise, a mini would be great, probably the iMac too, but I think they're ugly, and the colors are just not something you want around video editing software.

Jun 30, 2021 2:42 AM in response to terryb

I do not have an M1. I expect to have an Apple Silicon mac sometime in the near future (an M1 or whatever comes next), but for now I am working with my 16" MBP, which is just over a year old.

In terms of performance, it appears that the M1 MBP matches or exceeds the 16" in most cases, with two big advantages: battery life is amazing, and.... silence. One thing I dislike about my 16" is that with any heavy use the fans run like crazy. I would love the silence and the cool temperature of the M1.

Regarding the screen: I think I would find it small, too, but then I almost always have my mac connected to an external display, and that may help.

To note: the M1 MBP officially supports only one external display.

Is the Apple M1‑chip good for video editing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.