My husband and I share an Apple ID. I would like him to have his own apple is. Can I change the email associated with his Apple ID and keep all information on the phone- contacts specifically?

My husband and I share an apple Id

he recently was sent a new phone due to a cracked screen. We changed the SIM card but now the messages are synced and we’re receiving each others messages.

I want to get him a new Apple ID of his own. Can we do that without him losing his contacts?

Posted on Aug 26, 2023 9:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2023 10:11 AM

Stick to your guns !

Almost nothing good comes from sharing an AppleID and it DOES bring a whole lot of “Bad.”

FYI:

Make sure that each family member has a unique Apple ID - Apple Support

and

Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

3 replies

Aug 26, 2023 10:14 AM in response to Slasurdo

Sharing an Apple ID will blend everything, data, notifications, photos, all.

Set up a new Apple ID or two, and migrate.

Either one person migrates, or both migrate and share access to the original previously-shared Apple ID for email or such.

Set up Family Sharing.

Apps and media purchases and subscriptions can’t be migrated, but Family Sharing allows most of those to continue to be available. User data can be migrated.

Here are some discussions of how to migrate without losing the user’s own data:

Apple ID - Apple Community

Stop sharing Apple ID with wife - Apple Community

My husband and I share an Apple ID. I would like him to have his own apple is. Can I change the email associated with his Apple ID and keep all information on the phone- contacts specifically?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.