Kernel Panics on a 2018 MacBook Pro running 13.4 Ventura!

Hey All,

Wondering if anyone had ideas on kernel panics I have been having randomly. Just started a few weeks ago, and haven't made any major changes to the computer. I can't seem to reliably replicate a shutdown, except that the report often says WindowServer times out - below is the EtreCheck report. I have had to re-install from Time Machine a few times which I think is why multiple drives show up in Disk Utility - all seem to check out and no hardware issues reported in Diagnostics or when I run First Aid. Thanks in advance of any suggestions you might have!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Aug 28, 2023 1:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2023 6:55 PM

Refer to If your Mac restarts and a message appears - Apple Support.

Diagnosing kernel panics is often an exercise in trial and error. The most likely culprit is hardware, so disconnect any external drives that might be a contributing factor. Use the Mac long enough that way to determine if the KP events persist or subside.

There is nothing amiss with the number of drives shown. Only one of them is external, so try disconnecting it first.

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 28, 2023 6:55 PM in response to iluvsa

Refer to If your Mac restarts and a message appears - Apple Support.

Diagnosing kernel panics is often an exercise in trial and error. The most likely culprit is hardware, so disconnect any external drives that might be a contributing factor. Use the Mac long enough that way to determine if the KP events persist or subside.

There is nothing amiss with the number of drives shown. Only one of them is external, so try disconnecting it first.

Aug 29, 2023 6:20 PM in response to John Galt

Thanks, okay see attached! It may be a coincidence, but I have left my USB-C/VGA adapter unplugged for the last few hours and haven't had any kernel panics so I am hopeful it's an incompatibility issue with this device - but if you see anything else in the reports that might hint otherwise let me know, and thanks for the responses!

Aug 28, 2023 9:02 PM in response to iluvsa

Post several of the Kernel Panics here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper. You can find the Kernel Panic logs in "/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports" folder. The Kernel Panic logs will have file names beginning with "kernel". If you don't see any Kernel Panic logs in that folder, then check the "Retired" subfolder.

We need to see several of them to see whether there is any pattern to them. Unfortunately the EtreCheck report did not show anything useful in the summary panic logs it included which can happen sometimes. Hopefully with several of the complete logs will have some useful information.

Aug 29, 2023 6:48 PM in response to iluvsa

Agreed, definitely an issue with the GPU (panic logs indicate GPU Restart). Either it is an external Display issue (or possibly other externally connected device), or it is a GPU hardware failure with this laptop. If your display has multiple input options, then perhaps try using a input connection (or maybe try a different video cable and/or adapter).

Disconnect all external devices in case one of them is causing a problem or a compatibility issue with the display.

Also try connecting the external display to another USB-C port especially on the other side of the laptop.

Aug 30, 2023 1:20 PM in response to HWTech

I have that connected now and it seems to be okay, went one evening without a kernel panic. I will keep testing but if I narrow it down to one port on one side, would that most likely be the port itself rather than the logic board given that the adjacent port still works.

Thanks for all the help, really appreciate it!

Aug 30, 2023 6:06 PM in response to iluvsa

iluvsa wrote:

I have that connected now and it seems to be okay, went one evening without a kernel panic. I will keep testing but if I narrow it down to one port on one side, would that most likely be the port itself rather than the logic board given that the adjacent port still works.

Hard to say, but usually it will be the I/O Board that is bad (usually damaged). In my experience supporting our organization's thousands of Macs, I find that the USB-C ports tend to become damaged from liquid (sometimes from other things too)....just takes a single drop splashed on the table nearby to get inside the port to cause damage.

If it is not the I/O Board, then it would be the Logic Board. Sometimes third party connected devices can cause a failure of the USB and/or power circuitry on the Logic Board for the USB-C port (each port has its own USB/power circuitry on the Logic Board).

Kernel Panics on a 2018 MacBook Pro running 13.4 Ventura!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.