Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Sudden increase in iCloud spam.

Increase of junk in iCloud email

iPhone SE, iOS 16

Posted on Aug 28, 2023 7:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2024 10:18 AM

I find spam hits my Apple email addresses in waves. Nothing for a few weeks then a sudden deluge. As soon as it comes in, I forward the emails to abuse@icloud.com and, where appropriate, report@phishing.gov.uk. That seems to kill it off after a day or so. Not sure why Apple can’t filter it out consistently though…

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2024 10:18 AM in response to Swbailey

I find spam hits my Apple email addresses in waves. Nothing for a few weeks then a sudden deluge. As soon as it comes in, I forward the emails to abuse@icloud.com and, where appropriate, report@phishing.gov.uk. That seems to kill it off after a day or so. Not sure why Apple can’t filter it out consistently though…

Sep 12, 2023 11:32 AM in response to Swbailey

I too am seeing a significant uptick of spam reaching my junk folder. While this is the right place for this, the fact that Apple removed the ability to empty the junk folder from the iPhone mail app and made it a two step process now, it annoys me that these cannot just be permanently deleted.

The recent spam campaigns targeting iCloud and .me addresses use a technique to hide additional recipients within the headers. If you inspect a spam message's headers, you will likely see that the To: field is not even your email address. Further down in the header, you will see a couple references to the .me address (that for some reason Apple won't let us abandon the old .me addresses). You will also see that the mail is likely coming from a proton mail address with the prefix being the same as your iCloud address.

Bottom line. Apple needs to provide more mature spam prevention controls. They are being gamed by threat actors.

Apr 27, 2024 10:07 AM in response to Swbailey

I am being deluged with SPAM to my <username>@icloud.com email address. I do not use this address as I have an @mac.com address that I have been using since the day Steve announced this feature. I also, of course, have @me.com addresses. It seems I cannot delete the @icloud.com address as this will permanently delete my legacy addresses. I set a block on the @icloud.com address in Apple Mail.app but this did nothing. What can I do to stop this deluge of SPAM? Thanks.

Sep 1, 2023 2:53 PM in response to Lorin Rivers III

Same. Hundreds of spam mail a day and I cannot get it to stop. I have tried unsubscribing but I get an error that it didn't come from a valid email address. I have marked them as JUNK so now that folder is going rampant. I have tried to block the sender but they just keep coming. I want to delete this email all together now because of it but you cannot get another iCloud email. The apple support chat guy told me to create a new third party email and make that my new Apple ID and just stop using my iCloud account. That isn't fixing the problem and why do I need another email address? Why can't I get a new iCloud email and update my Apple ID? Because Apple says no.

Sep 3, 2023 12:25 PM in response to Swbailey

I'm also getting hammered with this.

Either Apple changed something, or spammers have taken this to the next level. Also, most if not all appear to be phishing spam. About 90% of mine do go into my junk mail folder, but considering I have had this email address since the day iCloud became a thing (and mac.com before then), and very rarely observed any spam, this is a very sudden change in behavior.

Sep 12, 2023 11:10 AM in response to tygb

Neither of those articles address the problem we are facing. This new spam technique is designed to circumvent the spam controls currently available. Apple needs to step up the options to include options to filter out emails where you are not in the To field or reject messages based on other header fields.

Sep 12, 2023 12:42 PM in response to dtraser

In my case, most if not all are phishing spam, and the sheer number makes me wonder if it is a Denial of Service attack.

My wife forwards her iCloud email to gmail, and for all of Google's sins, they are able to filter out all of this spam. If they can do it, so can Apple. (In fact, I had assumed Apple did just that since the inception of iCloud, which is why this is such an unpleasant surprise.)

Sep 14, 2023 6:30 AM in response to Bill Scott

It’s definitely not a Denial of Service. Denial of service attacks result in the targeted service becoming unavailable.

you are correct a number of these are phishing, especially the fake iCloud folder being full or deleted. A lot of this a combination of spoofing and baiting techniques. Simple services like Gmail and Outlook have decent protections again these more trivial techniques. One would think Apple could implement the same

Sudden increase in iCloud spam.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.