Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PDF print problem

I am trying to print my lasting power of attorney in the uk. I have a MacBook running Monterey 12.6.8 and a HP Color Laserjet M281fdw printer. The printer prints the first two pages then stops - there are 22 pages in total!

I have downloaded the file produced by www.gov.uk with no luck and I have also tried using Safari and Google Chrome on my MacBook with the same result.

I tried AirPrinting using my iPad with Safari and Chrome and the same thing happens.

I have printed other long PDF files successfully.

Can the pages from 3 to 22 in this document be locked in some way?

Any ideas?

MacBook Pro 15″

Posted on Aug 29, 2023 12:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2023 7:00 AM

Power off the HP printer and then power it on again. Reboot your Mac. Try reprinting after confirming P. Phillips print panel settings for ⦿ All _ Pages. Is it still a problem printing all 22 pages of your Power of Attorney PDF?

Do any of the previous PDFs that you printed successfully also have around 22 pages or more? If you can print them, then it is not the printer. Either the entire PDF is under a password, or not. One cannot lock individual pages in a PDF.

Can you view all 22 pages of your Power of Attorney in a PDF reader such as Apple's Preview, or the current Adobe Acrobat Reader DC? If the latter, use the print icon from its toolbar, not the File menu : Print…

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 29, 2023 7:00 AM in response to Peaches_mamut

Power off the HP printer and then power it on again. Reboot your Mac. Try reprinting after confirming P. Phillips print panel settings for ⦿ All _ Pages. Is it still a problem printing all 22 pages of your Power of Attorney PDF?

Do any of the previous PDFs that you printed successfully also have around 22 pages or more? If you can print them, then it is not the printer. Either the entire PDF is under a password, or not. One cannot lock individual pages in a PDF.

Can you view all 22 pages of your Power of Attorney in a PDF reader such as Apple's Preview, or the current Adobe Acrobat Reader DC? If the latter, use the print icon from its toolbar, not the File menu : Print…

Aug 30, 2023 1:24 AM in response to VikingOSX

Thank you P.Phillips and VikingOSX for replying.

I tried all your ideas with no result.

I downloaded Adobe Acrobat Reader DC and that would not print the rest of the document either.

In the end I downloaded the pdf file to a memory stick and took it to a shop in my town where they had no problem printing the last 20 pages from a windows laptop. It cost 30p per page but I can now get it completed. I can only think that the website for the Office of the Public Guardian, where I had to construct my LPA, have locked the file in some way.

Aug 30, 2023 2:30 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thank you VikingOSX.

I think that the file that you have downloaded is ok if you want to complete the whole process by hand. I used their website to create the LP1F and LP1H (including all my, the certificate provider and attorney information) then I paid the £82 fee and tried to print it. That is where the problem started! I downloaded a pdf file but could not print it.

I did get a local shop to print it, so the actual problem is now sorted.

After you suggested using Adobe Acrobat Reader DC I was able to print the file with no further problems.

Of course this software is only free for 7 days.

These discussions may help others in the same position.

Feb 27, 2024 9:44 AM in response to Peaches_mamut

For the last few years, after Apple/HP software updates... I've found that 99% of PDF's will open but won't print on HP LaserJet machines if you open them in preview. After many YEARS, yes years of infrequently poking around trying to find if Applor or HP have fixed the problem and have a workable solution the FINAL answer is that HP and Apple know the problem but obviously NEVER plan on fixing this problem. So... if you want to print PDF's on your HP LaserJet you have to use Adobe Acrobat. (Acrobat Reader is free) You'll see all kinds of BS from Apple people on how to fix this reset this or that, they don't know what they are talking about so DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME, it's NOT your machine, it's an APPLE/HP problem and it's NEVER going to work.

PDF print problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.