You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Canon scanner problem with Macbook Air OK Ventura

I've just bought a new Mac. OS Ventura 13.5.

I have a Canon Maxify MB2150 printer.

It prints OK on my new Mac, but there's no scan function.

The scanner still works fine on my old Mac.

I contacted Canon and dowloaded the drivers they recommended. Didn't work.

I contacted Apple and followed all the steps they told me. Didn't work.

It's a wireless connection. The signal strength is showing at 100%.

Can anyone please help?

MacBook Air 13″

Posted on Aug 29, 2023 3:46 AM

17 replies

Aug 29, 2023 6:57 AM in response to Breizh22

Both the Computer and the Printer / Scanner need to be connect to the same Network

Although the information in next link from Apple pertains to AirPrint compatible Printers / Scanners - the same type of Network Connection is required to the two devices to see and communicate with each other

Connect an AirPrint printer to a Wi-Fi network - Apple Support (CA)

ICC Scanner drivers for this Scanner / Printer

https://www.canon-europe.com/support/consumer/products/printers/maxify/mb-series/maxify-mb2150.html?type=download&language=EN&os=macOS%2013%20(Ventura)

Aug 29, 2023 7:33 AM in response to Breizh22

Two things

1 - Use the Image Capture application in the Utilities folder

In my case the Epson ET-2750 is showing as connected can being seen on this computer

2 - If the Canon Scanner is not showing up log into your Router and see if the Canon is actual connect to the Same Network

Again in second image it does show and connect on the 2.4 gHz network. The computer P's M1 Mac Mini is connect on the 5 gHz network

That is not important as the two device are on the Same Network

Aug 29, 2023 7:22 AM in response to PRP_53

Hi. Thanks so much for taking the time to answer.

The AirPrint is correctly connected and I have no problems printing.

I downloaded the scanner driver from the link above but I'm getting the same error messages as I did earlier - Cannot communicate with scanner. Possible reasons:

- Scanner is turned off.

- (If using wired LAN connection) It is disconnected from wired LAN.

- (If using Wi-Fi connection) Signal strength is poor due to obstructions.

- (If using USB connection) USB cable is disconnected.

- Other software or another user is using the scanner.

Please check and try again.

Is there anything else you can think of that I could try?

Thanks in advance.

Aug 29, 2023 8:01 AM in response to PRP_53

Thanks. I was on the phone to Canon for an hour or so earlier. They couldn't find any logical explanation and told me to contact Apple. I've tried two different Apple technicians and they couldn't help either. Told me to go back to Canon. So I'm basically going round in circles.

I read somewhere to disable the TCP/IPv6 but I can't as I don't have the option on my drop-down menu.

I don't know if it makes any difference (I'm a complete ignoramus with all things tech) but the printer TCP/IPv6 addresses are not the same as the ones on the Mac.

I reckon I'm just going to have to go out and buy yet another printer. Hate having to throw away things that should be working!

Cheers for your help.

Sep 21, 2023 5:08 AM in response to Breizh22

I have same problem with a Canon MN5360. No scan. After much the same journey, I found on the canon website, a list printers, and operating systems. And the 5300 series was shown as “not compatible” with Ventura. So yep. It’s a new printer, or keep the old computer just for scanning, or photograph things with your phone or iPad!

Sep 21, 2023 6:03 AM in response to graydon97

Hi, and thanks for your reply. I did resort to photographing, but I need the scanner to create handouts for my classes, and the quality of a photographed document isn't good enough. Also, the file size seems to be much much bigger than a classic scan.

Let's just hope my old Mac keeps on going for a while longer!

Very frustrating :(

Oct 22, 2023 8:48 AM in response to Breizh22

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm having the same issue so will save time going to Apple and Canon support. My workaround was scanning to card and then uploading that to my MacBook. A bit of a hassle but it worked. If you find out more, without buying new printer, please share! (I'm with you, that 2.4gHz band business is hurting my head. I just plug in!)

Canon scanner problem with Macbook Air OK Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.