Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Why is my iPhone showing unknown part

iPhone XR, iOS 16

Posted on Aug 29, 2023 6:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2023 6:09 AM

A message about a non-genuine part is discussed in this support document: iPhone parts and service history - Apple Support

An Unknown Part message appears if the part installation is incomplete or if the part:

- Was replaced with a nongenuine part (e.g., you had it repaired with a third party service that did not use an Apple component)

- Was already used or installed in another iPhone

- Isn't functioning as expected

If the reason isn't immediately apparent, go to this page to find your nearest Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) or Apple Authorized Distributor (AAD) --> Find Locations

How to make a Genius Bar appointment

1. Go to Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

2. Go to "Get hardware help".

3. Select your hardware and continue selecting options requiring replacing parts until you see "Bring in for Repair"

4. Sign in with your Apple ID

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 29, 2023 6:09 AM in response to Dan_niel1974

A message about a non-genuine part is discussed in this support document: iPhone parts and service history - Apple Support

An Unknown Part message appears if the part installation is incomplete or if the part:

- Was replaced with a nongenuine part (e.g., you had it repaired with a third party service that did not use an Apple component)

- Was already used or installed in another iPhone

- Isn't functioning as expected

If the reason isn't immediately apparent, go to this page to find your nearest Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) or Apple Authorized Distributor (AAD) --> Find Locations

How to make a Genius Bar appointment

1. Go to Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

2. Go to "Get hardware help".

3. Select your hardware and continue selecting options requiring replacing parts until you see "Bring in for Repair"

4. Sign in with your Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.