2016 Macbook pro screen flickering

Just recently my MacBook screen started flickering. No programs running and did everything recommended that would fix it to no avail. It’s the 2016 15” MacBook Pro with the touchbar. I’m not sure if this is the flexgate issue that’s know with these models.

MacBook Pro 15″

Posted on Aug 30, 2023 7:20 AM

4 replies

Aug 30, 2023 7:50 AM in response to rick1205

Press command-shift-4 and drag over an area where these glitches show. Do they appear in the screenshot or not?

I am guessing that the screenshot will not show these issues, which would suggest it is indeed a problem with the cable connecting the motherboard to the display. It is an easy fix for an Apple service provider, if they are allowed to do it... as the machine is nearly 7 years old, I'd take in sooner, rather than later. You don't want the machine added to the "obsolete" list, and then the service providers will not get the parts for it.

Another easy test, which can also be used as a workaround, is to attach an external display. In all likelihood, the external display will work perfectly - all but confirming the diagnostic suggested above.

Aug 30, 2023 8:53 AM in response to rick1205

rick1205 wrote:

I can confirm that when I connect it to an external monitor the flickering doesn’t come over. Also it start running a lot hotter then normal on boot up

This is what I expected, and is consistent with the notion that the issue is with the cable connecting the motherboard to the internal display.

(The being hotter part is just due to the fact that your GPU is working double-duty to generate output to two displays)

2016 Macbook pro screen flickering

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.