Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

How is my child bypassing screentime limits?

My nearly 13-yo is bypassing screentime limits, and is able to use apps that are clearly not allowed during downtime.

If you Google "how to bypass screentime" there are many blogs which list some of the same methods. As far as I can determine, he's not using any of these techniques. He can't change the time or time zone, can't uninstall and reinstall apps, tricks to use iMessages is not the issue (he's allowed to anyway with selected family contacts), etc. He's obviously not factory resetting the phone, and he's not changing the screentime settings at all (so he doesn't have my screentime passcode).

What is happening: certain apps -- the ones he wants to use like SnapChat and TikTok -- are completely accessible to him after downtime begins, currently at 9:30pm. (I believe he can't override the time limit for screentime, because sometimes he'll request more time, but not sure on that.)

Some clues:

• The apps deactivate at midnight and he apparently doesn't know how to get around that
  • I thought he might be using shortcuts, but can't see how. he's got shortcuts that open some of the apps he likes, but it seems that's just so he can have custom icons for them on the home screen.
  • only allowed apps are phone, messages, maps (after downtime)
  • he isn't using anything involving tethering to a computer, because he was doing it when he didn't have access to his computer for a couple days, too.

Some hearsay:

• a technique involving asking for 1 more minute and force quitting the app and relaunching it? I tried this and could't achieve the bypass

Any ideas how he is doing this?

Obvs. if he keeps doing this I'm just going to confiscate the iPad, but it would be nice if this system worked and I knew how to prevent him from bypassing it.

FYI here's another similar unanswered thread.

iPad (10th generation)

Posted on Aug 30, 2023 9:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2023 7:35 AM

Loren Ryter wrote:

Good idea. Not very practical for me (already have like 5 SSIDs on one router, and want to keep kid on same LAN anyway), but possible.

Five SSIDs on one router is unusual. Typical is at most two (guest, staff).

Three SSIDs is about the most I’ve ever met on one Access Point (AP) or one Wi-Fi router, and that was ugly. Here, that trio would probably be “Guest”, “Kid”, and “Parents”.

I typically recommend APs or mesh networks and careful Wi-Fi frequency coordination, rather than adding (often warring) Wi-Fi routers and adding SSIDs to manage added coverage, if that was the motivation leading to five SSIDs active here.

I get they can be bypassed, but it shouldn't be such a mystery how he's doing it. I'm pretty technically inclined and can't figure out the exploit. AFAIK any method that could involve a small budget is something like a jailbreak -- running software tethered to a computer -- and most likely can only be meant to circumvent the passcode security for the parental controls. It would be at the level of a boot injection, and I see nothing amiss in the boot sequence or any other obvious sign of such a hack. Furthermore, it would need to work by allowing him to change the screentime settings, which he's not doing.

That’s far more work than the easiest of the allowance-budget bypasses. Again, parental controls is doomed to fail, against any suitably inclined kid. Prisons fail at this. And yes, there are absolutely places and things around that parents do not want to have discussions about, and will wish to block, but that doesn’t make those conversations any less avoidable nor these blocks any more effective. Technology can’t solve people problems, IT sales reps’ claims aside.

IMO someone needs to keep an up-to-date list of exploits that a) parents can take further measures to block or otherwise handle, or b) apple can address.

Yes, and the folks maintaining that list are liars, scammers, cheats, and crooks, or those selling snake-oil and “magical” solutions, or those that wish to harvest data and metadata from you and your children, or those seeking to advertise to the children, or combinations. I manage more complex and more capable networking gear than most or the folks around here have access to, and all of what I have (including 802.1X RADIUS authentication, and redundant local DNS servers) can still be entirely bypassed by a kid on an allowance-scale budget.

And yes, the Kid-SSID will fail against even a mildly determined adversary with an allowance, too.

This is an exceedingly hard problem. Unsolvable, without (generally illegal) communications jamming.

Again, prisons fail at this.

Similar questions

26 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 1, 2023 7:35 AM in response to Loren Ryter

Loren Ryter wrote:

Good idea. Not very practical for me (already have like 5 SSIDs on one router, and want to keep kid on same LAN anyway), but possible.

Five SSIDs on one router is unusual. Typical is at most two (guest, staff).

Three SSIDs is about the most I’ve ever met on one Access Point (AP) or one Wi-Fi router, and that was ugly. Here, that trio would probably be “Guest”, “Kid”, and “Parents”.

I typically recommend APs or mesh networks and careful Wi-Fi frequency coordination, rather than adding (often warring) Wi-Fi routers and adding SSIDs to manage added coverage, if that was the motivation leading to five SSIDs active here.

I get they can be bypassed, but it shouldn't be such a mystery how he's doing it. I'm pretty technically inclined and can't figure out the exploit. AFAIK any method that could involve a small budget is something like a jailbreak -- running software tethered to a computer -- and most likely can only be meant to circumvent the passcode security for the parental controls. It would be at the level of a boot injection, and I see nothing amiss in the boot sequence or any other obvious sign of such a hack. Furthermore, it would need to work by allowing him to change the screentime settings, which he's not doing.

That’s far more work than the easiest of the allowance-budget bypasses. Again, parental controls is doomed to fail, against any suitably inclined kid. Prisons fail at this. And yes, there are absolutely places and things around that parents do not want to have discussions about, and will wish to block, but that doesn’t make those conversations any less avoidable nor these blocks any more effective. Technology can’t solve people problems, IT sales reps’ claims aside.

IMO someone needs to keep an up-to-date list of exploits that a) parents can take further measures to block or otherwise handle, or b) apple can address.

Yes, and the folks maintaining that list are liars, scammers, cheats, and crooks, or those selling snake-oil and “magical” solutions, or those that wish to harvest data and metadata from you and your children, or those seeking to advertise to the children, or combinations. I manage more complex and more capable networking gear than most or the folks around here have access to, and all of what I have (including 802.1X RADIUS authentication, and redundant local DNS servers) can still be entirely bypassed by a kid on an allowance-scale budget.

And yes, the Kid-SSID will fail against even a mildly determined adversary with an allowance, too.

This is an exceedingly hard problem. Unsolvable, without (generally illegal) communications jamming.

Again, prisons fail at this.

Jan 22, 2024 1:07 PM in response to Momofabunch

Momofabunch wrote:

My teen has admitted to getting around screen time and restricted contacts by turning his phone off. When the phone is powered back on, it gives him access to apps and phone numbers for a few moments (I haven't timed how long) before the regular parental control settings start working again.

Have you confirmed this?

It may also be that he knows your passcode and does not want to tell you. Even it it allowed access to an app for a few seconds it does not seem like it would be beneficial to restart your phone 30 times for just a minute of extra use.

Mar 23, 2024 10:55 PM in response to Momofabunch

This is exactly it. Mine does the same thing, admitted to it and showed me. They get exactly one minute to do what ever they want every time they reboot their phones before screentime kicks back in. This is a crappy design.

So far I am kind of ok with it as its annoying to them, but I would rather they not be allowed to do this. Defeats the purpose of screen time all together.

I have yet to find a fix.

Apr 25, 2024 3:54 AM in response to Mazaresbern

Mazaresbern wrote:

1. I have the same issue, and I know how he does it. I have been requesting support for this problem for a long time but there seems to be no solution from Apple.

The method used is the following:
Click on change screentime code.
2. Click on I forgot the password.
3. When asked Appe ID you write it and then click on “forgot password”
4. Then you are asked the 6 digit code of the phone (!!!) and there you go, it allows you to change the Apple ID password, with which you are allowed to change the 4 digit screen time code.

Now the kid can do whatever he wants.

If he has the 6 digit code for unblocking the phone, then the screen time can be overriden in a matter of seconds.

At least this is the problem I have, I hope this can help.

Cheers

When setting the ScreenTime passcode, you can optionally associate the ScreenTime passcode with an AppleID account. Choose an AppleID that is not the child's AppleID (e.g., you own AppleID - the password for which should be known only to you).

Alternatively, when setting the ScreenTime Passcode, you can skip associating the ScreenTime Passcode with an AppleID altogether. This will prevent reset of an unknown ScreenTime Passcode - but consider that a subsequently forgotten ScreenTime Passcode will entail complete reset of the iPad and starting again afresh; in this situation you will not be able to restore data from an iCloud or iTunes backup - as to do so you would also restore the unknown ScreenTime Passcode.

Aug 30, 2023 9:23 AM in response to Loren Ryter

Some questions:

1) Did you (or another adult) as Family Organizer create the child’s AppleID as described here:

Create an Apple ID for your child - Apple Support

2) Did the Family Organizer personally setup the child’s device after it had been Factory Reset (or purchased new) … specifically selecting “This is a Child’s Device” during setup?

3) Did the Family Organizer additionally setup Screentime on the child’s device - again selecting “This is a Child’s Device” AND use a unique secret passcode unknown to the child?

Use parental controls on your child's iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

4) If the Organizer selected to use their OWN AppleID for Screentime passcode revovery, is the adult’s AppleID password indeed unknown to the child?

5) Within Screentime - specifically within the final group “Other Settings and Features” are restrictions set to prevent child from:

• Changing AppleID
  • Changing Device Passcode
  • Changing Data Plans

Sep 1, 2023 5:54 AM in response to MrHoffman

Feb 25, 2024 10:01 AM in response to Gillo45

Gillo45 wrote:

This is true as my son uses this method to get round his restriction. Help!

Again, parental controls are doomed to fail against any suitably inclined kid. Prisons fail at this.

And yes, there are absolutely places and things around that parents do not wish to have discussions about, and will wish to block, but that doesn’t make those conversations any less avoidable nor will it make efforts to avoid those conversations any more effective.

You might run parallel Wi-Fi or shut off the Wi-Fi on a schedule, but even that won't keep a suitably motivated kid isolated from their interests.

Kids can bypass all of this, and on an allowance-scale budget.

If your child trusts you—kids have agency—ask them how they’re bypassing the blocks, and why, and maybe they’ll tell you.

Technology can’t solve people problems.

Mar 23, 2024 8:29 PM in response to Loren Ryter

I’m not sure if you got anywhere with this. I realize it’s and older post. BUT I just found out from my own issues with my kid with this that they can use other apps like maps, Life360, watch, health, settings even! They go to the legal formats for the apps and click on the web browser link and then they are in to use the internet even if the internet is deleted from their phone. It’s very sneaky. I was able to delete everything but the settings app. I’ll just have to keep my eyes on it. Hope this helps someone

Apr 24, 2024 8:56 PM in response to Loren Ryter

I have the same issue, and I know how he does it. I have been requesting support for this problem for a long time but there seems to be no solution from Apple.

The method used is the following:

1. Click on change screentime code.
  2. Click on I forgot the password.
  3. When asked Appe ID you write it and then click on “forgot password”
  4. Then you are asked the 6 digit code of the phone (!!!) and there you go, it allows you to change the Apple ID password, with which you are allowed to change the 4 digit screen time code.

Now the kid can do whatever he wants.

If he has the 6 digit code for unblocking the phone, then the screen time can be overriden in a matter of seconds.

At least this is the problem I have, I hope this can help.

Cheers

Aug 30, 2023 9:37 AM in response to Chattanoogan

His iPad is on 16.1. Does 16.6 "fix" something? I will update it though.

of course it is all set up properly with me as the family organizer. he does not know the screentime password. some of the info you provide (where is the source) is out of date as it doesn't exactly correspond to current iOS.

for example, under content & privacy restrictions it says "passcode changes" and "account changes" and "cellular data changes" -- all set to don't allow. these are not under any sections that say "other settings and features" but under one that syas "allow changes"

Aug 30, 2023 9:59 AM in response to Loren Ryter

Change your Screen Time passcode daily (keep it very different each time) & see if it still happens. It may be a PITA but if the unauthorized access still happens, you maybe he DOES know (by whatever means) the Screen Time passcode and may be keeping the access at a minimum (or within certain parameters) to draw attention away from it. It's worth a try anyways, especially if you don't change the Screen Time passcode regularly.

If changing the passcode daily does NOT stop the access, then he is gaining access in some other way (of which you are indeed trying to figure out).

How is my child bypassing screentime limits?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.