Newsroom Update

Apple News+ introduces Quartiles, a new original spelling game, and Offline Mode for subscribers. Learn more >

Mac Mail app plays additional, unwanted "Mezzo" alert sound

No matter how I set "New Messages Sound" in Mail Settings, I also hear the "Mezzo" sound whenever new mail arrives. For every message there are two sounds—what I select AND Mezzo. (If I select Mezzo as my new mail sound do I not get two alerts, just the Mezzo once.) But I dislike Mezzo and want only the sound I prefer. I have booted into Safe Mode and nothing was different. How can I maintain my notifications but stop Mezzo?

Thank you.

Mac Studio M2 Max

macOS 13.5.1 Ventura

Mail 16.0

Mac Studio

Posted on Aug 31, 2023 1:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2023 4:45 PM

I had the same problem. Do you have any 3rd party apps running within Mac Mail? I have Mail Butler and SpamSieve. I called Apple Support and spoke with Virgil. He nailed my Mail sound issue. Yay!

Go open your SpamSieve and check the Settings > Notifications, etc.

In my case, SpamSieve had a notification sound to play BASSO sound when GOOD mail was coming in. That was my issue, and Virgil at Apple Support solved it for me.

Until SpamSieve gets an upgrade, you have to set the GOOD sound (or no sound) in SpamSieve. SpamSieve tends to override the sound preferences in Mac Mail, and I am on a Mac Studio M1, and Ventura 13.5.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2023 4:45 PM in response to mapkle

I had the same problem. Do you have any 3rd party apps running within Mac Mail? I have Mail Butler and SpamSieve. I called Apple Support and spoke with Virgil. He nailed my Mail sound issue. Yay!

Go open your SpamSieve and check the Settings > Notifications, etc.

In my case, SpamSieve had a notification sound to play BASSO sound when GOOD mail was coming in. That was my issue, and Virgil at Apple Support solved it for me.

Until SpamSieve gets an upgrade, you have to set the GOOD sound (or no sound) in SpamSieve. SpamSieve tends to override the sound preferences in Mac Mail, and I am on a Mac Studio M1, and Ventura 13.5.

Sep 2, 2023 5:05 PM in response to voyager360

Excellent. Thank you so much.

I don't know why I sometimes got both the Mail app's sound and SpamSieve's sound when new mail arrived, and I have yet to understand why some mail results in a banner notification (as it is set to do) but other times it does not.

Meanwhile, it is such an improvement to not hear BASSO (which I thought was Mezzo, as they are essentially the same). Grateful to you, voyager360!

Mac Mail app plays additional, unwanted "Mezzo" alert sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.