You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I keep my MacBook air M2 plugged in all the time, or drain it once in awhile?

Once an Apple employee told me to make sure I drain my MacBook Pro (late 2013) sometimes in order to make the battery last longer. Is this something I should do with the MacBook Air M2 2023? Or should I always leave it plugged in when I have access to power? Thanks.

Posted on Sep 2, 2023 3:58 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2023 4:38 PM

mchudaco wrote:

Once an Apple employee told me to make sure I drain my MacBook Pro (late 2013) sometimes in order to make the battery last longer. Is this something I should do with the MacBook Air M2 2023? Or should I always leave it plugged in when I have access to power? Thanks.

You can leave it plugged in when needed or when convenient to do so. Neither the battery nor the computer will be damaged by leaving it plugged in. There is no need to drain the battery. The MacOS manages the charging/power system very well. There is no need for you to intervene by trying to micromanage the system.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 2, 2023 4:38 PM in response to mchudaco

mchudaco wrote:

You can leave it plugged in when needed or when convenient to do so. Neither the battery nor the computer will be damaged by leaving it plugged in. There is no need to drain the battery. The MacOS manages the charging/power system very well. There is no need for you to intervene by trying to micromanage the system.

Nov 22, 2023 12:23 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

Hi thank you for the information. But do this applies also if you are using (like me) the W70 adapter? Usually in previous version once the battery was completed charing the icon in the top right of the screen would switch and showing that the macbook was only utilising the electricity and not engaging the battery. But now I do not see that. Can someone or yourself help with this matter? Thank you in advance

Should I keep my MacBook air M2 plugged in all the time, or drain it once in awhile?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.