Recovery Mode won't connect to wifi

I can't put my MacBook into recovery mode. Its. 2017 MacBook and when I put it into recovery mode it goes directly to connect to wifi and then pops up with an error. Pops up error code. (Support.apple.com/mac/startup) -3001F Is it not allowing me to do it because it's not a private wifi? Im at the airport and was just trying to erase my Mac.

MacBook, macOS 13.5

Posted on Sep 3, 2023 8:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2023 12:13 PM

Cjones918 wrote:

Is it not allowing me to do it because it's not a private wifi? Im at the airport and was just trying to erase my Mac.

That is most likely the reason.

A better option would be to create a bootable macOS USB installer using the instructions in this Apple article:

Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

This would only require a simple download one time while Internet Recovery Mode is a much more complicated process which must have an a good fast network without having the required services being blocked...a public network probably is not a good option.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 3, 2023 12:13 PM in response to Cjones918

Cjones918 wrote:

Is it not allowing me to do it because it's not a private wifi? Im at the airport and was just trying to erase my Mac.

That is most likely the reason.

A better option would be to create a bootable macOS USB installer using the instructions in this Apple article:

Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

This would only require a simple download one time while Internet Recovery Mode is a much more complicated process which must have an a good fast network without having the required services being blocked...a public network probably is not a good option.

Recovery Mode won't connect to wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.