Sticky cables

Brand new MacBook Air purchased directly from Apple has a charging cable that is sticky. Feels likes the plasticizer is leaching out of the insulation. It’s very unappealing. Are all Apple cords like that now? I’ve been using Macs since 1988….

Posted on Sep 5, 2023 3:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2023 6:36 AM

My 15" M2 MacBook Air uses a braided MagSafe cable. Apple is getting away from the "smooth" cables that can tangle very easily.

Regardless of the type of cable, though, John Galt's answer is correct...neither type of cable should feel "sticky". Since it's new, you could bring it in to the Apple Store, as everything that came with your new Mac is covered under warranty.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 6, 2023 6:36 AM in response to Phys610

My 15" M2 MacBook Air uses a braided MagSafe cable. Apple is getting away from the "smooth" cables that can tangle very easily.

Regardless of the type of cable, though, John Galt's answer is correct...neither type of cable should feel "sticky". Since it's new, you could bring it in to the Apple Store, as everything that came with your new Mac is covered under warranty.

Sticky cables

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.