Question about AppleCare+ and Mac Pros

Hi I have a question about AppleCare+

I completely understand AppleCare+ is helpful for MacBooks etc… But what about if you want to cover a M2 Mac Pro which is safe on a table etc.? Basically I’ve never had AppleCare for Mac Pros as they very rarely go wrong and to be honest up until now I thought AppleCare was a bit of a con as it seems to offer very little for a lot of money where Mac Pros are concerned…. I had a 2019 Mac Pro and it broke after 3 years and they still don’t know how it broke, however Apple has very kindly gave me a replacement M2 Mac Pro Ultra, so now I’m wondering how I can cover this new Mac and if it’s actually worth it as Mac Pros are bombproof 99.9% of the time. I’m disabled so my Mac Pro helps me with everything so it’s my life but at the same time I’m pretty skint 😂 What would you suggest to extend the warranty on this brand new replacement and is it actually worth the money? Oh by the way I’m still waiting for this replacement Mac to arrive I’m just trying to be prepared etc.

Thanks in advance.

Mac Pro

Posted on Sep 6, 2023 9:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2023 10:14 AM

If something does go wrong with your computer after the warranty period, what will you do? Warranties are an exercise in playing the odds. The manufacturer is betting that few enough devices will go wrong in one year that they will still make a profit even if they cover those repairs. But, they are also assuming that those odds would shift against them after a year. So, if Apple assumes that it's not worth the risk to cover repairs after a year, are you willing to? Only you know what your risk tolerance and ability to pay for repairs or a replacement should something happen after a year if you don't have Apple Care. Are you saving up money for your next replacement? Will you be able to afford any needed repairs? It sounds as if the computer is pretty important to your daily life.The fact that you don't move the MBP around lessens the risk of damage, though it does not eliminate it (cats, spilled beverages, accidentally closing something under the screen, etc). But, it has little effect on simple hardware failure.

And no, an MBP is not "bombproof" even in the figurative sense.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 6, 2023 10:14 AM in response to KainsTorment

If something does go wrong with your computer after the warranty period, what will you do? Warranties are an exercise in playing the odds. The manufacturer is betting that few enough devices will go wrong in one year that they will still make a profit even if they cover those repairs. But, they are also assuming that those odds would shift against them after a year. So, if Apple assumes that it's not worth the risk to cover repairs after a year, are you willing to? Only you know what your risk tolerance and ability to pay for repairs or a replacement should something happen after a year if you don't have Apple Care. Are you saving up money for your next replacement? Will you be able to afford any needed repairs? It sounds as if the computer is pretty important to your daily life.The fact that you don't move the MBP around lessens the risk of damage, though it does not eliminate it (cats, spilled beverages, accidentally closing something under the screen, etc). But, it has little effect on simple hardware failure.

And no, an MBP is not "bombproof" even in the figurative sense.

Sep 6, 2023 10:27 AM in response to KainsTorment

if you choose NOT to purchase the AppleCare PLUS package, you are choosing to pay for any failures in your equipment after the warranty period yourself, out of pocket.

Some users may have huge losses, others may have none. That is called the 'insurance effect'.

It is easier to see when your entire life savings is invested in your home. If your home burns down without fire insurance, you have lost a lifetime of earnings. The effect is the same, only the scale of the losses is different.

Insurance spreads the impact of large losses over a larger group, and protects you against individual losses you can not bear alone.

Sep 6, 2023 1:21 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

That’s the thing though I’m not talking about a MacBook Pro, I’m talking about Mac Pros ie the towers etc and I was hoping to get cover or warranty for the Apple Parts inside the Mac Pro (tower) I’m 46 and over my lifetime I’ve had one see through iMac and about 3 or 4 Mac Pro’s (towers) and none completely broke on me until recently so thats why I thought Mac Pros (towers) were pretty bombproof, even my Mac guy says so. But this is a case of once bitten twice shy etc. etc.

Water or drinks don’t go near my tower and I have a 43” Asus monitor, so the extended coverage / warranty “if possible” would be only for the tower and any unexpected damage to the Apple Parts inside the tower which is almost unheard of these days. I hope this makes more sense and sorry for any confusion.

How much is AppleCare+ by the way and does it cover what I’m hoping it to?

Sep 6, 2023 1:32 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thank you Grant I “think” you’ve helped me out before. Yeah I think I understand and my Macs have been covered in house insurance but I’ve recently discovered that the house insurance only covers computers for about 130 days or something like that.

I think I must’ve been lucky so far or had a very rare gremlin in my Mac Pro tower

Sep 6, 2023 2:26 PM in response to KainsTorment

KainsTorment wrote:

That’s the thing though I’m not talking about a MacBook Pro,

Apologies for misreading. But, except for shutting something in the computer, it all still applies. Grant seems to have given you the necessary information about AppleCare+.

Again, it's all about your risk tolerance and whether or not you want to spread the potential repair costs over years (AppleCare+) or whether you can handle paying for a large repair/replacement all at once in the event something happens. Maybe nothing will and you'll feel as if you "wasted" the money on Apple Care. I've been feeling that way about car insurance for almost fifty years. Or, something unfortunate will happen and Apple Care will cover it and you'll be really happy you had it.

Question about AppleCare+ and Mac Pros

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.