Fix iCloud Photo Sync already!

Simply mind-boggling how a trillion dollar company can mess up a feature as simple as this. Here goes:

• I rotated around 300 photos on my MacBook (bad enough you can't do that on the iPhone)
  • The edits won't sync to my iPhone (yes the original photos are synced already and memory isn't low)
  • Then tried adding them to a shared album on Mac -> "There was an error adding the selected items to [album]" - Great error message, immensely helpful trying to debug!
  • So then I add them to a normal album. Works on the Mac, however only photos which weren't rotated sync to that album on the iPhone now. LMAO!
  • At this point I've rebooted, restarted the app, killed daemon services related to icloud photos etc.

Seriously, is a "Force Sync" button, error codes and some easily accessible log files too much to ask?!

Lock them behind a Power User mode so you don't end up confusing the average consumer or make any miniscule design tradeoffs, I don't care!

I'm on Ventura 13.1 and iOS 16.6 (newest at time of writing).

Yes, my internet is fast, stable and I shouldn't have exceeded any rate limits.

It's been like an hour now. I'm switching to Dropbox.

The best part, I pay for this **** monthly :))

Posted on Sep 6, 2023 10:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2023 10:43 AM

Note the macOS Ventura version is macOS 13.5.1; as

mentioned above ~ shows that's only macOS 13.1.

There are some things you may be able to accomplish

if that's where your macOS really is now; in updates.

Apple security releases - Apple Support - also see.

Similar questions

5 replies

Sep 6, 2023 10:53 AM in response to -Flare-

Should your reference point be taken from 'About this Mac' in Finder menu

or elsewhere the system reports that status.. In your mac's OS, not mine;

that would suffice. Either it's at that point, or use article with correct links.

(apple's software support is free & goes on for at least 3/5 years)

As a simple mac user since 1984 with a few decades of prior years hobby

repair/donate to charity of some 660+ Macs; I'm just an unpaid Volunteer.

..Only been a helper in ASC since 2003; and not online here all that much..

Sep 6, 2023 3:04 PM in response to -Flare-

Go to the App Store and search for macOS Ventura. The version there is 13.5.1. You can download and install from there.

How are you syncing the photos between your MB and iPhone? If you have iCloud Library enabled on both devices then the edits will be synced between both devices. If you're using the Finder (like we did with iTines previously) I believe only the original files get synced.

Sep 6, 2023 4:05 PM in response to Old Toad

Interesting, updating manually worked as you described. Why System Settings isn't capable of finding an update in 8 months and applying it automatically as specified remains a mystery.

The pictures were taken on iPhone, then synced via iCloud to Mac and edited there. Usually edits sync fine, but sometimes they just refuse and there's apparently no way to fix this? Just wait and pray? That's a great UX right there. I mean we're talking a few Kilobytes of metadata here...

Just like the Mac will stop pulling new pictures due to insufficient storage (when there's actually like >10 GB available) but refuse to tell you how much more it needs to start syncing. That's literally one extra line for the devs. It's all dumbed down to the max, and yet Apple tries so hard to market to "professionals".

Fix iCloud Photo Sync already!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.